Ideas for winter/spring colour

• 2 Replies

Kate_S

Ideas for winter/spring colour
« on: December 30, 2014, 14:58 »
Hello everyone..........

having obtained our allotment a few months  ago, we have spent lots of time clearing  the raised beds, and planted cauli, cabbage, broad beans, onions and lettuce. While we wait for these to develop and grow over the next few months, the place looks quite dull albeit neat!

Can i put in any shrubs, flowering plants at this time of the year? I have put in a couple of cyclamen by the shed, but it needs some more colour.

Also what marigolds should I get to deter pests next year? :unsure:

wishing everyone a Happy New Year :)

compostqueen

Re: Ideas for winter/spring colour
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 16:18 »
I love marigolds on the plot. They look fabulous alongside red cabbage!!!!  A marriage made in heaven. They self-seed too. I like calendula Neon and c. Nova.  Limnanthes is a lovely little flowering plant for the front of a border and is much-loved by bees.  Think about using open flowers rather than doubles, as bees can really only benefit from those as they can't get into the doubles.  Dahlias are cheap as chips to grow from seed as are nasturtiums and escholzia, but will brighten up the plot no end as they are so colourful.  Nasturtiums attract cabbage whites and they will lay their eggs on them. Better there than on your brassicas.  I have borage on my plot too, and that self-seeds around but again is much-loved by bees and the flowers can be added to your cold drink  :tongue2:

Think about using hardy overwintering veg that have colour such as leeks like Musselburgh which take on a purple as the temperature drops, and red kale  ;)    I have a fab book by Joy Larkcom, which you can borrow from the library, the Creative Veg Garden (or something similar) Great book, stuffed with ideas for the plot and garden

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Ideas for winter/spring colour
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 09:34 »
Winter colour on our plot comes from violas in troughs, followed by Spring bulbs, especially muscari, which the bees just love. If you have a little area by the shed, then something like Pulmonaria has pretty leaves, with flowers to come, and a winter flowering shrub with scented flowers such as Sarcococca would be excellent. It smells amazing and stays quite small.

As well as Calendula (English Pot Marigolds) I grow dwarf French marigold around the tomato plants every year. They benefit hugely from the water and food the tomatoes get and I never have whitefly on the tomato plants. plus they do look fabulous in a wide stripe. As the flowers open fully, they display their centres, which bees do forage in.

Enjoy your plot!! :D :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
Winter colour?

Started by Lardman on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post September 29, 2014, 11:10
by Goosegirl
xx
Shrubs for winter colour

Started by Springlands on General Gardening

11 Replies
Last post July 12, 2011, 21:12
by sion01
xx
convolvulus tri-colour mix

Started by AmandaLouise on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post May 19, 2012, 08:21
by AmandaLouise
xx
Colour in the garden

Started by black diamond on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post April 02, 2007, 07:38
by milkman

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 33 queries.