Seed potatoes here.

• 5 Replies

Kleftiwallah

Seed potatoes here.
« on: January 11, 2021, 14:32 »
Good afternoon everyone,  the seed potatoes have arrived.
Anya, Desiree, Int' Kidney, Kestrel, King Edwards and Maris Peer.

Does anyone out there know if there is any preference as to where to plant each variety.  Are any specifically renown for doing well in bags/buckets as opposed to the good eath of the bed?

Cheers,   Tony. :)
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

AnneB

Re: Seed potatoes here.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 16:54 »
Mine arrived this morning.   Makes a change from choosing at potato day, which is cancelled this year.
I have Kestrel, Maris Bard, Sarpo Blue Danue and Ratte.   Not so many varieties as usual, but more of them, which means I will be using bags this year as well as the usual beds.

I believe it is usually recommended to grow first earlies in bags rather than later crops, so I am putting Maris Bard in bags.    Depending on how the beds work out, if I can't fit the rest in I might put some of the Ratte in bags, although a maincrop it is a salad potato, so might do ok.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 12:56 »
Just been to the local GC to buy mine. 65 Desiree and 25 Charlotte cost me a £tenner.

The shelves were empty of stock! fortunately there was 1 bottle of Maxicrop shouting at me ;)

All set for a 3 month lockdown just like last year :lol:
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2021, 16:45 »
we recently bought Maris Bard  Marfona charlotte cara Jazzy and Desiree for both us and our Daughter our first earlies will be in potato tubs the rest in one allotment plot as part of our yearly crop rotation

this will be the fist time we are growing  Marfona and Maris Bard we grew Cara last year as our main crop as we usually grew Desiree so we going back to Desiree this year and we find red potatoes do better than whites so going to be interesting to see  how Mafona crops

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2021, 17:04 »
we usually grew Desiree so we going back to Desiree this year and we find red potatoes do better than whites so going to be interesting to see  how Mafona crops
I find most white skinned get hammed by slugs here, the red seem better, the best one I grew but we now struggle to get them is Ramano, they were superb here.

al78

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2021, 17:17 »
My seed potatoes arrived today, just the one bag of first earlies I ordered before Christmas. Some of these will be planted in bags in the greenhouse to see if I can get an early crop. I have started chitting them in an unheated unused bedroom which faces north, no more than 10C in there, so the chits aren't going to go rampant over the next month.

xx
Supermarket potatoes using as seed potatoes

Started by Rotorvator on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 10, 2024, 17:18
by snowdrops
xx
seed potatoes

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post January 17, 2022, 09:48
by rowlandwells
question
Seed potatoes

Started by royh on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 18, 2010, 14:26
by Stevens706
xx
Seed potatoes

Started by WilburDigger on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 09, 2010, 18:43
by DD.

Page created in 0.34 seconds with 44 queries.