Onions from seed - 2019

• 40 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Onions from seed - 2019
« on: December 26, 2018, 16:35 »
Mine have gone in today in pots on the kitchen windowsill. Usually I sow in small seed trays, but I think the deeper root run may be better.  Worth a try anyway and I have two pots full, so I might experiment with early transplanting into modules for one and leaving them a bit to grow on for the other.

This year I have Ailsa Craig, having spent a fair bit of the summer casting envious eyes on one of my plot neighbour's crop.  He reckons they keep better than Globo as well  :)

You need a cool, bright, frost-free place to nurture the seedlings, so early sowing is not for everyone, but as a dark days of winter mood boost, I would recommend you have a go if you can.  I make do with a windowsill in a cool room and then a blowaway mini greenhouse inside an unheated greenhouse, so nothing too special required.

Warning - onion seedlings are slow growing and take ages to get going.  This is a pastime for seedaholics and those with patience.  The upside is you (usually) grow bigger, better onions that those from sets and get much more choice of types to grow.  The last two years have not been great growing seasons, but I have had a crop of some description, while onion sets planted on the plots around me either bolted or withered to nothing.

The thread from last year is here for reference. 

Onions from seed - 2018 in Grow Your Own - Page 1 of 9

jaydig

Re: Onions from seed - 2019
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 17:44 »
I always do mine in pots, making sure there's plenty of space between seeds. I don't need to transplant them, and simply knock the whole lot out of the pot at planting time, then just tease them apart.  It always seems to work well and saves a job at the same time.

rowlandwells

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 16:41 »
had good germination results from autumn sowings however I have some spring sowings to do have Globo   Hybound and some other varieties but I think It mite be a bit early to sow the seed in a cold greenhouse although I have got a heated  propagator

Q. what's the lastest date one could sow onon seed to get a decent buld onions say  the end of Feb/March when things start to warm up in the greenhouse

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 17:53 »
I sowed some Globos in very deep trays a few weeks back. They were up in ten days but yes, they do grow painfully slowly at this stage. I went for an earlier sowing in the hope that a longer growing season before mid-Summer "bulbing up" time might mean big big onions  :lol: :lol:

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Mr Dog

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 18:44 »
My seeds are at the ready - just need to get some compost warm. 2019 varieties are: Golden Bear, Giant (a re-selected Kelsae strain I suspect), Exhibition and Red Baron.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2018, 22:53 »
Planning to sow next week, compost warming at home now.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 22:21 »
Planning on sowing mine after the kings have done their visit then I can get the grow tent down and start 2019 off.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Mr Dog

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2019, 16:36 »
Seeds sown: Golden Bear, Zebrune (from an old packet dated 2014 I found lurking so will be interesting to see how viable the seeds are), Exhibition, Giant, Russian Giant (5 seeds given to me a by a neighbouring plot holder) and Red Baron.

AnneB

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2019, 19:52 »
Those growing in pots rather than seed trays or cells, what size pots do you use to get them going?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019, 20:03 »
I've got 2 1L pots on the go (that's a 5" pot in old money).

Twood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2019, 16:40 »
Hi
has anyone tried multi sowing their onions???
This is my first year growing again and I'm about to put the onion seeds in something-I appear to be late in comparison to the seasoned growers out there.

I was just going to sow in modules 1 seed per module and then plant out when they got bigger but I read on Mr No digs website about multi sowing and wondered if any one had tried it. Perhaps I should have made this a new topic??
Happy Gardening May your plot be abundant in veg and free from slugs ! :)

Veg Plot 1B

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2019, 18:08 »
Multi sowed some Ailsa Craig today, never grown from seed before.

If you are growing in module then not to late.

AussieInFrance

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2019, 22:06 »
Multi sowing onions works well although it usually results in smaller onions. Depending on the quantity of onions you use, the smaller onion may suit.
Grow lights for early germination;
Blow away on NE facing terrace for hardening off;
Small potager 90sq.m at 300metres
No-dig method, intensive planting and incorporating permaculture principles.

Twood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2019, 07:25 »
Thanks for the replies
Heartening to know its not too late
AussieinFrance I might give both methods a go and see what I get this year
Two

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2019, 11:26 »
Heartening to know its not too late

Not too late at all.  It is just some of us like to start early ones off in the hopes of growing giant onions and to be honest, because we just need to play with seeds in the dark winter months  ;)

I've used muti-sowing in modules a fair bit.  As AussiaInFrance says, you just get slightly smaller veg, but I think overall at least as much weight of harvest for the space used.  Onions are good, but I always do beetroot that way as well, plus have tried spring onions, baby leeks and turnips with great success  :)

It would be a good idea to do both and see what you get.  Us nosy lot will be interested as well  :)

xx
Seed potatoes for 2019

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post December 19, 2018, 17:07
by rowlandwells
xx
onions from seed

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post December 13, 2016, 09:09
by jambop
xx
onions from seed

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 22, 2008, 22:22
by gobs
xx
Help Onions Run To Seed!

Started by Donnay on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 15, 2013, 20:13
by Donnay

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 54 queries.