greenhouse floor

• 31 Replies

starry

greenhouse floor
« on: February 07, 2013, 13:22 »
my new green house floor is concrete is it OK like this or should I put anything on top of this i.e. slabs or anything else ??
some people are like slinkys......they're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face as you push them down the stairs!!

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: greenhouse floor
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 13:31 »
Should be OK. I assume you are planning to grow in growbags, in pots or in bags or pots on staging?
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

starry

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 14:03 »
Pots and grow bags yes with trays to catch the water to avoid pooling on the floor thank you  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 14:22 »
it'll be fine - enjoy it  ;)

brianbishop

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 14:30 »
Sometimes good to have pooling on floor to keep up the humidity.
Bish

starry

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 19:56 »
ok thanks folks cant wait !!

AndyRVTR

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 11:31 »
Bish
As Bish says it is good to have humidity in your greenhouse but dont overdo it! High humidity can cause the pollen to become damp and sticky, preventing it from properly transferring from the anthers to the stigma, this reduction in pollen transfer will reduce your fruit production.

Yana

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 13:43 »
This thread has made me think and I know it is a case of ...... Depends on what you want to grow...... But I have two greenhouses (one transported on the back of an open back truck from Ramsgate as it belonged to my dad and I couldn't bear the thought of my mum getting rid of it) and both have an open floor, as in soil.
Does anyone have thoughts as to whether I should pave one / both? Is it better to have soil or not?
So far the only downside to soil is that it has to be replaced every so often. What others are there that I have missed?
 :blink:
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 13:50 »
Bish
As Bish says it is good to have humidity in your greenhouse but don't overdo it! High humidity can cause the pollen to become damp and sticky, preventing it from properly transferring from the anthers to the stigma, this reduction in pollen transfer will reduce your fruit production.

It also increases the likelihood of getting botrytis - humidity is only advisable for certain plants like cucumbers when it's hot  - tomatoes and peppers definitely don't need it.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 13:53 »
Both of mine have soil with paving down the middle 2 thirds the length of the greenhouse.  It gives me somewhere nice and solid to stand and I then have a 'U' shaped bit of ground for growing my toms and chillies.

I don't often change the soil, but some of my chicken poo goes in there over winter, and the spent compost from summer baskets etc, then I sometimes top that with a bit of soil from the garden.

Never seems to get any higher though!   :lol:

bravemurphy

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 18:54 »
Bish
As Bish says it is good to have humidity in your greenhouse but don't overdo it! High humidity can cause the pollen to become damp and sticky, preventing it from properly transferring from the anthers to the stigma, this reduction in pollen transfer will reduce your fruit production.

It also increases the likelihood of getting botrytis - humidity is only advisable for certain plants like cucumbers when it's hot  - tomatoes and peppers definitely don't need it.
I had to harvest everything early last year because of boytris what a nightmare it was.

I could not believe how fast it spred even tho i had a window with an auto opener.

I put it down to damping the slabed floor down which i have never done in the past.

Emptied all the greenhouse early jeys fluid it all and installed a louver vent with auto opener hope this will sort it out for this year.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 19:45 »
My greenhouse floor is soil covered with weed-proof membrane and york stone chippings that match my patio stones.

Yana

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 08:03 »
Does that stop the botrytis?

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2013, 15:46 »
Does that stop the botrytis?

Did you mean me?

My toms went a bit mouldy last year, but then suddenly had a second wind and sent new shoots up in September! Probably not Botrytis in that case.

On really hot days (vaguely remember them) I can easily soak the floor in water to cool the greenhouse without any pooling - some evaporates and some goes to the ground.

I couldn't use the soil beneath the greenhouse as we discovered at least half our garden had buried aggregate type stuff about 4 inches below the soil, probably hidden by the original builders! So stone chippings over the membrane seemed the best way for me. :)

csd7025

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2013, 11:29 »
We have versatile floor tiles on top of the concrete in our greenhouse. I find it's very good for drainage and much comfy to stand on than concrete :)

xx
Greenhouse floor is pebbles - how to clean?

Started by reddytogarden on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

3 Replies
Last post September 01, 2018, 01:50
by John
xx
Just been given a greenhouse!

Started by samnorfolk on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

6 Replies
Last post March 07, 2013, 21:28
by Sparkyrog
xx
Greenhouse too hot?

Started by mclarkuk1 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

2 Replies
Last post April 30, 2011, 12:57
by mumofstig
xx
new greenhouse nearly done

Started by LILLILEAF on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

6 Replies
Last post December 25, 2016, 15:34
by oldgrunge

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 40 queries.