Healthy weight - "keel bone"?

• 5 Replies

laurabee

Healthy weight - "keel bone"?
« on: May 07, 2009, 17:12 »
Hi all,

I have had my 2 chickens for about 3 months now. They are eating the recommended 120g of layers pellets during the day each (I leave it there for them to help themselves and there's usually a bit left at bedtime so I'm happy they have enough) plus greens, mealworms etc in the evening. Their crops expand nicely over the course of the day and are "deflated" by the morning as described in the "sticky" on general health. They are also laying really well.

So, I'm probably just being paranoid but would appreciate your advice on ideal weight. I was actually slightly worried they might be too fat, so did a search on the forum and the web and everyone refers to the keel bone not being too sharp or too hard to find. Much to my surprise, the keel bone on my chickens feels a little sharp to me! They look plump and healthy and feel chunky enough. Do I need to worry if they look fine? I guess the "keel bone" is the one you feel underneath if you pick the bird up by running your hand down their breast from the front to support them between the legs? Seems logical based on the name! They're both light breeds.

Also, when their crops fill up they're slightly lopsided - is this normal?

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Healthy weight - "keel bone"?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 17:23 »
Hi Laura, I sometimes think people can easily get paranoid about their chooks.  Is it fat enough, is it too skinny etc.

If your girls are hybrids, then generally they will weigh at point of lay between 1.75 and 2.25kgs.  I know people say the keel bone shouldn't be too sharp, but what is too sharp?  None of my girls are fat, their keel bone does feel a bit sharp, but hybrids are bred to lay eggs not put on meat.  all the goodness from their food goes into that egg.

We give our girls their feed adlib.  We don't weigh it out, it is always there,but if your girls have had their fill when you get home, plus the other bits you give them, and they look healthy, then don't worry about them.

The only thing, is that if you feel they may be a little overweight.  then cut down on the treats.  not the greenstuff as that helps make lovely yellow yolks, but I think mealworms are fattening, full of protein as they are.  OUrs get the occasional treat, but only the greenstuff and corn, with maybe a little bread or  a nice warm mash in the winter.

Oh and about the crops!  Yes, ours always look a bit lopsided too when theirs are full!

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 17:27 »
I'm glad you posted this Laurabee as my two hybrids are the same, whereas the Light Sussex which are dual use birds (ie meat and eggs) don't have a prominent keel bone.

Thanks for the reply Grannie, your answer certainly makes sense and I'll stop planning to 'fatten' the two girls up!  :lol:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 17:34 »
I have to smile when people come to buy chickens and the wife will say when they have stopped laying, my husband said we can eat the chicken.  I think the dog may get a dinner out of one of them, and although they look 'fat' its all that lovely soft feather!  :)

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 20:03 »
I'm glad I am not the only one who gets worried that the hens are not fat enough. Mine seem so thin, but they lay every day. I am sure that they would stop laying if they were too thin, but I still wonder about it.

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 12:10 »
We don't worry so much about them getting too skinny (you only have to watch them gobble their food like there's no tomorrow!), but we do weigh them every now and then.

the last weigh-in (January this year):
Rita 1.823kg
Sandra: 1.8195kg
Erica: 2.250kg
Jessica: 2.374kg

xx
Supplement with healthy "treats"

Started by dianer29 on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post November 05, 2009, 18:27
by Caralou
xx
Chicken ailment - leghorns appear "drunk" and cannot stand

Started by Envirogal on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 17, 2011, 15:58
by compostqueen
xx
Making home-made "peck-blocks"

Started by Helenaj on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post July 08, 2011, 23:26
by hardygeranium
xx
Can cockerels be carriers of "vent gleet?"

Started by Helenaj on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 29, 2011, 15:31
by joyfull

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 35 queries.