Black "spots" on the hens crowns

• 4 Replies

Cat

Black "spots" on the hens crowns
« on: April 04, 2009, 05:23 »
Hi, I have a few questions:

I have no idea what types of hens I have. They are black with red crowns. 2 of them have white feathers mixed with the black ones on their heads and necks. I noticed today that a few of them have these black spots/little growths on their crowns. They don't come off if you rub them. Is it part of their crown? The ones with smaller crowns don't seem to have it.

The other question is that they don't seem to have feathers from their chest to their belly. But it is a straight line of no feathers. It looks like somebody took a ruler and drew a line and the feathers came out.  :D

They are about 20 weeks old and they haven't started laying eggs. They eat the whole time and in the last 2 weeks have really grown. When will they start laying?

Also what is better for them wood shavings or hay? (We get the off cuts from the rice paddies when they harvest the rice)

As you can see I am still new at this. Thanks for your help
Cat
Lead, follow or get out of the way

wadz81

• Experienced Member
Re: Black "spots" on the hens crowns
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 07:57 »
Hi we have two silver sussex they are black with little white feathers from thier heads to thier necks and a pale green/blue colour round thier face could it be these! :)

poultrygeist

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 08:58 »
Hi cat.

Could you get a photo or two posted up ?

I wonder if they're a local breed or hybrid. Until you know the breed it's hard to say when they'll start laying since it can vary from as little as about 18 weeks to several months. :)
When you say crown, do you mean the comb ?  If this is looking fairly prominent and is a good red colour they should be old enough and if they 'squat' for you when you go to pick them up, this often indicates they're about to lay.

The norm here is to use wood shavings or some absorbant material in the house and then straw (not hay) in the nest box. There are many variations with hemp-based horse bedding being a popular choice.
If the rice stalks are fairly comfortable and don't get saturated too easily or grow mould, then I would think it's ok.

Rob 8)

Cat

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 13:15 »
Thanks for the replies. They do look like the Silver Sussex. I will have to take some pics tomorrow as they are all sleeping now. Their combs are a very bright dark red.

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question but what is the difference between hay and straw? I am mixing wood shavings and the stalks from the rice after harvesting.

poultrygeist

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 14:41 »
Hay is cut grass, left to dry.
Straw is the stems of cereals after harvesting.

As far as I know.

Rob 8)

xx
Chicken ailment - leghorns appear "drunk" and cannot stand

Started by Envirogal on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 17, 2011, 15:58
by compostqueen
xx
Making home-made "peck-blocks"

Started by Helenaj on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post July 08, 2011, 23:26
by hardygeranium
xx
Help advice needed Sick chick "I think"

Started by babaloo151070 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 08, 2012, 08:24
by Sassy
xx
"spiral" chickens - twisted feathers

Started by silverteen on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 15, 2011, 08:46
by freebirdy

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 38 queries.