BIG plant pots

• 8 Replies

synchris

BIG plant pots
« on: April 17, 2010, 14:21 »
I have inherited a BIG plant pot. 160 cm tall by about 80 cm square and tapering a bit down to the base. What soil etc do I fill it with, and in what order,  to grow a Magnolia Stellata?  I have access to lots of horse muck, and home made compost.
Thanks for any advice

AnnieB

• Experienced Member
Re: BIG plant pots
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 20:40 »
Use a soil based compost, something heavy, as it is a tree that you are planting and it will stay in the pot for some years presumably.

Not sure if you need an acidic based one but I think not for magnolia's.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 08:38 »
I would suggest a soil-based compost formulated to John Innes No 3.

We have Magnolia Stellata growing in our alkaline-soil garden, so I do not think they need Ericaceous compost.

I would use some slow release fertilizer granules (the sort intended for containers)

Loubs

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 09:57 »
Beautiful stunning plant. I was admiring these in the garden centre a couple of days ago and nearly bought one myself to go in a big pot in back garden, but hesitated as I've killed a few trees in pots over the years (I've murdered 4 Acers and a Cotinus). Might see if I can persuade OH to go back later today, as I now find myself yearning for this Magnolia like a lovesick teenager  :blush:

synchris

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 18:32 »
Thanks to all - it looks like vast ammounts of JI No 3, or perhaps me making a JI substitute to put at the bottom of the pot to ease the asault on the wallet.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 19:15 »
I wouldn't have a problem putting well rotted manure / home made compost / some loam (stacked and rotted old turf) in the bottom.  Needs to drain reasonably well, so adding some sharp sand ... old Tomato bags from last year, that type of thing.

Peat / manure / compost will tend to dry out, but I think it will be reasonably OK at the bottom, if the top half-ish is soil-based.

Is J.I. No 3 much more expensive than standard multipurpose compost? I only buy a couple of bags a year, whereas I must buy nearly a dozen of m ulti purpose and I can't say I've every looked closely at the price of J.I. compost  :unsure:

Runwell-Steve

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 21:21 »
You need to make sure you have a lot of weight in the bottom of the pot else it maight blow over if it is windy.  That is quite a high pot for the size of the footprint it has.

synchris

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 10:54 »
I have at last filled it!!! 6 bucketloads of big cobbles from the brook - 4 bucketloads of pebbles saved from a neighbours garden - 4 barrowloads of home mix soil and compost - 120 litres ericacious compost.  I just hope the magnoloia appreciates all my hard work.  Thanks for the advice.

Debz

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 11:11 »
I am sure it will reward you well for all your hard work.  Mum has one in her garden.  It is a bit of a thug and she keeps lobbing bits off it.  It doesn't seem to notice and it keeps growing more but is also covered in flowers every year.

xx
Bulbs in pots

Started by chickpeacurry on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post October 09, 2016, 17:11
by New shoot
xx
Terracotta pots

Started by celjaci on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post May 23, 2009, 11:17
by catllar
xx
what to do with bulbs in pots

Started by barbarella on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post April 27, 2010, 17:30
by barbarella
xx
Lilies in pots

Started by Elaine G on General Gardening

23 Replies
Last post March 24, 2009, 18:11
by Rangerkris

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 35 queries.