What plants did you lose in the 'Big Freeze' ?

• 69 Replies

Paul Plots

Re: What plants did you lose in the 'Big Freeze' ?
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2010, 00:53 »
Oh Learner if only I had a greenhouse haha.  I have told myself to hang them upside next year or at least use the bubble wrap I bought to wrap them up with,wether I listen or not is another thing LOL.

I found it hard to keep them free of botrytis - hanging them up to allow a bit of air circulation sounds good in theory...  :blink:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

diggerjoe

« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2010, 11:44 »
Hi Broadhaven re passion flowers I bought seed from Original touch as I was told they were easy to grow - all the instrcutions are in German :( but I get the gist of it - this will be the first time I've grown these from seeds and as yet they have not made an appearance - but there was plenty of seed to have another go. I think they might take time to flower but I'll report back - as to big freeze sadly myrtle who has battled on for 15 years challenged by a bonsai that forgot it was one , ivy and  ground cover plant  has almost given up. I pruned off three foot at the top and a lot of side branches leaving only heathy looking ones. It actually flowered twice last year and the berries are still there although shrivelled but the cold has caused a lot of damage. I hope she makes it :(

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2010, 15:28 »
my passion flower from seed flowered the same year :)

diggerjoe

« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2010, 17:13 »
Great MoS - fingers crossed this lot grow - I had a beautiful passion flower over two arches a couple of years back but the weight collasped and broke both arches and in the process of untangling I managed to kill it off :nowink:

stephenprudence

« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2010, 19:02 »
oooh I didn't lost alot but I did lose a parent Echeveria, a Crassula ovata and also a Lampranthus aurea

We did have some surprise survivors including a Bird of Paradise, and a Bougainvillea.

Jasmine has been cut to the ground though but is still alive, as is Passionflower.

Paul Plots

« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2010, 23:55 »
Rhubarb... I was hoping it might have snuffed it - fat chance, I know. I have a wonderfully healthy patch that my dad grew from seed.  ::)

We eat very little of it and it is, presently, as green as the emerald isle... I think it is mostly to do with the variety..

A mate advised me to dig it up in autumn and leave it on the surface before replanting in the spring - improves the flavour apparently.

I think I might take a large spade to it and reduce its size before the shed vanishes underneath  :( :blink:

gypsy

« Reply #66 on: May 01, 2010, 20:31 »
My globe artichokes and asparagus have not shown this yr, so i presume they have been frozen to death. :(
My asparagus lives  :D but it only has one spear which is bent! It is only is only 3yrs old this yr so never had a crop from it yet. Has anyone got any suggestions how to revive it? or should I replace it?
Catherine

Paul Plots

« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2010, 23:45 »
My globe artichokes and asparagus have not shown this yr, so i presume they have been frozen to death. :(
My asparagus lives  :D but it only has one spear which is bent! It is only is only 3yrs old this yr so never had a crop from it yet. Has anyone got any suggestions how to revive it? or should I replace it?

Sounds alive and growing to me... give it a chance  ;)

gypsy

« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2010, 21:57 »
I will give it a chance but if it does not do better I will replace it next yr, I cannot wait any longer for some asparagus to dip in my boiled egg.  :D

Paul Plots

« Reply #69 on: May 06, 2010, 09:18 »
I will give it a chance but if it does not do better I will replace it next yr, I cannot wait any longer for some asparagus to dip in my boiled egg.  :D

But it does look lovely in with a bunch of gladiolis later in the season!  ;)

xx
Lose the lawn, keep the tree

Started by MalcW on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post April 15, 2016, 14:35
by Goosegirl
xx
What flowering plants or garden plants do you dislike?

Started by Oliveview on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post May 03, 2008, 00:23
by Kiwi
xx
Box Plants

Started by mikeimp on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post May 26, 2012, 14:10
by Goosegirl
xx
What plants please?

Started by wilbzfishing on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post May 17, 2015, 10:45
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 36 queries.