AA Are you paying too much?

• 28 Replies

Ice

• muck spreader
AA Are you paying too much?
« on: December 31, 2009, 11:41 »
Last year my monthly payments were £12.  They have just gone up to £17.  That's a huge difference and means yearly cover costs £207, much much more than the cash price. :wacko:

I called to query and without any fuss got a 30% reduction, slightly less than I paid last year.  The immediate backdown made me think they were just trying it on to see how many wouldn't bother to check.

It's well worth a phone call if yours has gone up recently.  ;)
Cheese makes everything better.

Elaine G

Re: AA Are you paying too much?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 17:28 »
I agree they are trying it on.
I pay mine annually and the figure they quoted was a lot higher than last year.
I called them and said please match the internet price or I would switch to the RAC :lol:
They replied that they were not allowed to match the internet price but they could give me a discount as i was a valued member!
The discounted price was lower than the online price :happy:

Elaine
The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet - James Oppenheim

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 18:20 »
Never be afraid to ask.  My Sky broke and I didn't have cover.  They quoted £60 to repair it.  I said it was too much and I would rather cancel my subscription.  They fixed it for £20. ;) 

Steven Rowe

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 12:07 »
Everyone seems to be chanceing there arm nowadays, i was with the rac,and when i said no to my renewal, they said id could have 30%off, said no, phoned me back later that day with 50% off, then phoned back the next day with 50% off and free memberships for my family  :unsure:

Elaine G

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 14:41 »
Should have added my comments above also work with British Gas boiler cover.
They gave me what was quoted on the internet for new customers when I said my quote was too high :)

Elaine

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 23:42 »
Same goes for their insurance.  Yesterday rang to check the renewal figure (been with them 4 years or so).  Got figure.  I said I'd shop around, as it had gone up.  Rang round, got cheaper price, bought it.  Rang back to cancel with AA, got through to cancellations who said they'd knock £70 off their quote.

I was livid.  I asked why they couldn't have told me that this morning when I rang for the renwal.  Meanwhile had gone through all the palaver of getting new policy sorted and had paid for that so cancelled with AA.

Honestly .... :tongue2:
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 10:24 »
I always shop around every year for my insurance and the AA are never a cheap option.  If you get a cheaper quote elsewhere it's always a good idea to ask if your present insurers are willing to match it.

At the moment I'm insured by the Post Office at £12 a month.  Result. :D

out4nowt

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 13:41 »
This year I paid £101-25 to the AA for joint personal cover for my wife and myself, giving us roadside assistance and national recovery. I used a cashback site and got £50 cashback leaving us paying less than £26 each for cover. Not too bad.....

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 21:30 »
Hi Ice
even with your 30% discount thats £140
I added Green flag to my insurance for about £40. Touch wood I never had to put them to the test yet. The total package is £300(full comp)
always have a target
and an objective.

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 21:49 »
I use Auto aid - you have to pay up front & claim back, but only ever had them out for punctures and the garages dealt direct, so not a problem. They are very cheap and have turned up quickly each time. I think the premium is about £37 for full cover, roadside, recovery & home start.
http://www.autoaidbreakdown.co.uk/index.htm

HTH

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 21:52 »
Hi BBF.  The discount was actually more than 30% as it amounted to slightly less than I was paying last year.  I was with with Green Flag very briefly many years ago.  I had to call them out and a total neanderthal turned up.  He was peed off that I he had been given the job just as he was going to pick up his new car.  He threw his mobile phone down the road because he couldn't work it and he was so angry.

I hope they have improved a little since then. :lol:

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 10:04 »
Hi BBF.  The discount was actually more than 30% as it amounted to slightly less than I was paying last year.  I was with with Green Flag very briefly many years ago.  I had to call them out and a total neanderthal turned up.  He was peed off that I he had been given the job just as he was going to pick up his new car.  He threw his mobile phone down the road because he couldn't work it and he was so angry.

I hope they have improved a little since then. :lol:

so do I, but it sounds like theres room for improvment. Did he get the car going?

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 11:10 »
No he didn't get it going.  I had asked to be towed to my ususal garage and when he heard where it was he went beserk as it was in the opposite direction to where his new car was.  He was still hoping to get there in time. ::)  I got into the tow truck and endured a white knuckle ride to the garage.  He drove like a lunatic.

A letter was written............ :blink:

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2010, 12:53 »
Its worth checking with other ways of getting it too.

I have a Halifax gold account - costs 12/Month

For that i get AA cover, Phone insurance, identity protection, travel insurance

Also if you have an ok Income (£1000/month or more) - they give you £5/month into your account.

So all of that actually costs 7/Month!

Win!
I hate signatures but love irony

andy135

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2010, 14:40 »
I have my car insurance with Saga, (over 50's) and I get free AA cover with it.

xx
Seed Potato's. How much are you paying.

Started by Tenhens on Frugal Living

5 Replies
Last post January 22, 2017, 10:41
by jaydig

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 36 queries.