Don't Shoot Me

• 8 Replies

KT

• Experienced Member
Don't Shoot Me
« on: April 17, 2010, 19:40 »
Ok i have been a very very very bad girl.

I have utterly neglected my poor veg garden which did so well for me last year, other than to run out and pull up the odd leek or cabbage.

However i have been out there today rescuing what i can, re-poting strawberry's and giving it alittle TLC.

Now i was a total newbie last year so i have 3 questions.

First off... Kale.

I grew it from seed last year and it did fab!! it withstood the evil catapilla's far better than any of my other cabbage and it's given me lovely veggy all the way though.

Stupid question but should i be pulling it up and planting new ones?? I figure that i should be planting new ones to replace it, but is it ok to be still eating the current one? or should i pull it up and make room for something else??? (p.s i haven't harvested any for over a month so i have no idea if it even tastes ok?? will it be  ??? )

Second Question...

Spinach Beet... ok winter came so i just left it, ignored it and expected it to die like the rest of my summer veggy's.. however when i was turning the ground over today i noticed that several plants have survived though the winter and infact pretty much look the same way as they did last year.

Is it ok to eat?? should i pull it up?? im honestly baffled that it survived all the snow!!

Purple Sprouting broccolli.

Very few of my brassica did well last year i got a couple of cauli's and abit of calabrese i was just about to pull up the purple sprouting cursing it for just siting there and not doing much when i noticed it has little purple heads. Isn't it abit late?? what do i do with it??? how big do i let the heads get? ARGH!!!

8doubles

Re: Don't Shoot Me
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 19:46 »
In answer to the kale question, yes plant some more but the old kale should put out some flower heads soon which you can treat as broccoli.
We are having kale sprouts with the roast tomorrow.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 19:55 »
Spinach beet: I sowed mine a bit too late to get much off it last year but it survived the winter well and is leafing up nicely now (with a bit of fertiliser added for encouragement!)

It will run to seed after its spurt of growth so get some picked and eaten now!  :tongue2:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

KT

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 20:11 »
Arh! Brill

I shall plant some new seeds for both in pots ready to go out abit later on then, for now i shall enjoy these and earmark the ground for something else in a short while then.

on the flow heads when do you cut them? i've just ran outside and indeed your right a few are showing sign's of flower heads? how big do you let them get?

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 20:26 »
Arh! Brill

I shall plant some new seeds for both in pots ready to go out abit later on then, for now i shall enjoy these and earmark the ground for something else in a short while then.

on the flow heads when do you cut them? i've just ran outside and indeed your right a few are showing sign's of flower heads? how big do you let them get?

Eat them as greens, do not let the petals show. You can be brutal with them and pick any size and they should keep pushing out the flower shoots, when they stop its time for the compost heap.

KT

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 20:42 »
should i be leaving the leaves now? will they be tough?

8doubles

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 20:45 »
The tops may be okay but the lower down you go the chewier it gets.

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 22:25 »
KT  - re your PSB - it is all later this year due to the cold. You'll probably find a central "head" at the top of the plant, maybe covered in leaves. If you pick this and then gradually pick more stems going down the plant, more will grow if you're patient. It will probbaly crop for at least another 3 or 4 weeks. Give it some water and maybe a feed, then pull them up when they've finished. chop 'em up before you compost them though as they take ages otherwise.

KT

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 12:54 »
how big is the head supposed to be? stupid question i know?

xx
Potate shoot Cut

Started by businessmonkey9 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 03, 2020, 10:33
by Yorkie
xx
How long til my onions shoot please?

Started by yummy on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 23, 2008, 23:15
by love-my-plot
xx
Sloe bush off shoot.

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 13, 2013, 07:30
by sunshineband
xx
Autumn bliss when do they shoot?

Started by Janeymiddlewife on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 03, 2009, 20:09
by agapanthus

Page created in 0.339 seconds with 39 queries.