hatching chicks under a broody???

• 20 Replies

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
hatching chicks under a broody???
« on: February 28, 2013, 10:04 »
I have always been interested in hatching my own chicks and after reading threads on birds for meat im even more interested espeacially as every chicken I buy these days smell and awful I dont know why ( supermarket frer range). One of my ladies goes broody all through spring/ summer and I would love the experience. Im still not 100% as im unsure what other equiptment I will need for the broody and chicks. I would love for people to tell me their ecperience and any pros/ cons and what I need.  :)

splash101

Re: hatching chicks under a broody???
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 10:48 »
I think chickens and meat in general from supermarkets either have no taste or they taste of the polystyrene trays and cellophane they are wrapped in.

I've hatched eggs by using an incubator and under a broody. I think it is much better to hatch under a broody hen if you have one. They are doing all the hard work for you.
Chicks raised by a broody will be out in the garden at only a couple of days old whereas chicks from an incubator will be weeks old before they can go out as they cant duck under mum for warmth.

You would need a a seperate small coop or even a rabbit hutch and be able to seperate a section of run.

I would also have as a backup a lamp with a 60w bulb minimum just in case things dont go to plan with the broody after they have hatched.

There's a fairly good/certain chance you will end up with some cockerels as well.

It's all good fun and lovely to see when mum brings the babies out. Its also quite an anxious time too though  :D

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 11:05 »
Thankyou splash101. Yes i understand i will end up wigh cockerels these will end up in the pot im afraid.with a broody coop and run can i have it seperate to the main run but still in view of each other?? So next to the main run as i wouldnt want to take space away from the other chooks.

splash101

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 12:32 »
Yes you can have it seperate, thats what i did.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 12:57 »
I would second using a broody as it makes things easier and Mum teaches them so much.  The downside can be that they don't like being handled as Mum tells them you are a threat.  This can be overcome by spending more time with Mum and brood though. 

If you are wanting the hens for eggs and the cockerels for meat then choose a dual purpose bird like, Light Sussex or Welsummer.

My broodies have adjoining runs to my laying hens so they see each other all the time.  This makes it easier when integrating your young pullets to the main flock or letting them out to freerange.

As splash101 says do have a heatlamp and a makeshift broody coop at the ready in case Mum rejects any of the chicks. 
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 14:02 »
The hens I got from my breeder were vaccinated so I assume the chicks would need vaccinating before intergrating with current hens??

ANHBUC

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 14:11 »
My original hens were vaccinated but none of my chicks have been.  It is difficult to do from what I have read on here as the vaccine has to be used within an hour of opening if I remember rightly.

All of mine have been fine and vaccination does not always ensure they won't get a disease.  I don't use medicated chick crumb or growers either as I don't want to risk my laying hens eating it.

I am sure more experienced members will advise you if I have misquoted anything.

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 14:38 »
 ok thanks

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 10:56 »
Just wondering if anyone knows where I could get a good broody coop and run from and also what I should expect to pay on starting out?? Also at what age could any hens hatched be intergrated with current ladies??

ANHBUC

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 17:24 »
I started out with a second hand rabbit hutch but both of my broodies are bantams.  The rabbit hutch had a run which could be attached.  I think I paid £40 for it on eBay and sold it for the same when I bought some second hand rabbit eglus.  The rabbit eglus sell for a lot less than the chicken ones and are ideal for broodies.

Mine usually integrate around 16 to 18 weeks old.  They are always in view of each other from hatching so integration is usually not too bad.

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 19:04 »
Thanks anhbuc  :)

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 22:52 »
How big a coop and run would be best???

ANHBUC

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2013, 10:43 »
That would depend on the breed size, how many chicks you manage to hatch and if you want to keep them in it until they are ready to join the flock.

Some breeds you can tell the sex at day old so can cull any unwanted cockerels.  This will save on feed and the need for rehoming.

My current Bantam broody is in a 7 ft x 7ft roofed walk in run with her 5 Bantam chicks but they will be out freeranging as well.  I use some eglu netting to give them a different area from the rest of the flock.  The little chicks wandered through the netting yesterday but the other hens seemed to know not to go near them.  Having said that I would not leave them out with Mum on their own just in case.

I use an eglu rabbit in their run as a coop and intend to use it in the garden with the eglu run when/if the weather improves.  It will be big enough for them all as long as they have time outside to stop them getting bored.
Dotty and chicks 02.03.2013 006 (600 x 450).jpg

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2013, 13:49 »
Ok so i was thinking of it needing to be big enough to house them until they are big enough for them to join the rest of my ladies. They will be able to free range but not 24/7 as im not always around. My main concern is the cockerals as i plan on these being my dinner  so assume intergrating these with my hens wont be an option so will need big enough to keep these housed til ready for the chop. It would be great if anyone has any pics or website that could give me a rough idea. I want to make sure they will all have plenty of space. Thanks for your fast replies anhbuc  :)

ANHBUC

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2013, 18:14 »
As soon as you know which are cockerels you can keep them seperate and if they are to be meat birds they won't want too much space.  You want them to put weight on so you don't want them using all the calories on running around the garden.  Having said that they do need to be happy so getting the balance right is a personal thing.  If they have a small area in the garden to eat bug and grass it will make a difference to the meat.  If they freerange most of the time they will be lean.

I did integrate my cockerels with my other birds before the chop as I wanted some offspring from them.  That is what Dottys chicks are and why they are a Heinz 57 variety.

You are doing the right thing though, the more you research the easier it will be.

I have put a couple of photos of our walk in run when it was being built last year.  You can see the 2 rabbit hutches in the smaller sections on the right.  Hope this helps.   :)
Walk In Run 002 (600 x 450).jpg
Walk in run roof 012 (508 x 381).jpg

xx
broody hens/hatching chicks off

Started by kizza on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post November 29, 2006, 21:58
by muntjac
xx
Preparing for broody hatching her chicks... Advice please

Started by moomintroll on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 23, 2013, 15:49
by moomintroll
xx
Help - hatching broody

Started by LivvyW on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 29, 2010, 16:12
by scabs
xx
Hatching from broody help please!!!

Started by nic_28 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 10, 2012, 13:21
by nic_28

Page created in 0.257 seconds with 38 queries.