Difference in plant leaf growth and watering

• 3 Replies

Goosegirl

Difference in plant leaf growth and watering
« on: June 24, 2014, 14:38 »
I have often wondered about how the formation and outward spread of different plant leaves are designed to direct water down to their roots to achieve maximum efficiency for the needs of each type of plant. Look at the difference in the leaves of the onion family, potatoes, peas and beans and brassicas. Anyone got a view on this?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

beesrus

Re: Difference in plant leaf growth and watering
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 17:40 »
I certainly do Goosey. Nature doesn't do senseless, even with the odd over the top attracting a mate/pollenation thing.

Sweet corn are my favourite leaves. Not only do they funnel water to the centre of the plant like some sort of small reservoir, I also believe they help the pollenation process. A lot of people think it's a good idea to remove some leaves to allow the pollen to fall directly onto the silks, as often the odd leaf is in the direct line of fire. I don't and think that's a mistake, and actually believe the leaves are meant to trap some of the pollen during a blow for a day and release it as and when the wind changes somewhat, to spread the chances. A sort of two stage parachute jump down to the silks to avoid being blown way off course. Very clever.

I view the solar panels I use as a sort of leaf, and how they are positioned, and their shape, is important. We are mimicking what nature does as a matter of course. In fact, we are as natural as they are ... on a good day :D
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 17:52 by beesrus »

Dantheman

• Experienced Member
  • :) :) :)
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 19:56 »
sweetcorn my favorite too  :)
Dear God, Please can you stop the wind and rain and bring on the nice weather. Amen

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 12:19 »
I think Brassicas might be my favourite "leaf-watering" system because the water just rolls off the leaves and falls onto the soil well away from the roots but, if you think about trees and how their roots spread out to the same width as its height, then that's where the brassica's roots will probably have spread out to.

xx
too much leaf growth on veg plants

Started by partridgefamily on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 18, 2011, 19:08
by sunshineband
xx
plant growth regulators

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 10, 2017, 21:48
by rowlandwells
xx
Strawberry plant growth

Started by BumbleJo on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 27, 2016, 08:33
by BumbleJo
xx
Green Manures & plant with fastest biomass growth.

Started by RichardY on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 06, 2016, 21:55
by gremlin

Page created in 0.406 seconds with 38 queries.