I've been doing it all wrong.

• 22 Replies

muntjac

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2006, 23:04 »
wierdest thing i ever ate was dog  :cry: .never again didnt know what it was till after id eaten it .tasted great tho
still alive /............

sorrel

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2006, 09:57 »
weirdest thing I ever ate was Horse ...  I was gutted, cried my eyes out and felt ill for days at the time I had 3 horses myself.

Funny how upset you can be over certain things and yet I have no problem eating chicken, cows pigs lamb etc....  Although i cant eat certain of my chickens (favourites  chicks with names)
Starting from scratch............

muntjac

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2006, 17:23 »
i dint know it was dog till i started cocking my leg at trees and dragging my butt across the carpet  :lol:

shaun

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2006, 17:43 »
was it a sausage dog  :D
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

Smallholder

• http://castlefarmeggs.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2006, 17:53 »
The bulb has already the potential to create a flower when you plant it,which was made last season...unless you cut the leaves off before they had fed the bulb and wilted.Only the tips of the leaves need to turn abit brown before you can remove, them as by then the bud inside the bulb has stored enough energy to bloom next year.You planted the bulb perfectly by putting abit of grit or sharp sand around it, as bulbs don't enjoy being in water to much.
Worms will not harm them..you might get a bit of eel worm sometimes but thats if your unlucky.
Tulips usually split into daughter bulbs after the flowering,which usually means they will be shy to flower the year after...making the flowerbud takes energy..but the following year you may get 2 flowers.
Rare and Traditional Poultry Hatching Egss sent next day delivery.

Flower

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2006, 20:14 »
Thanks smallholder,that information was most useful.The bulbs were new 2005 and had been dug up and in storage after the leaves had died down. I have clay soil and the ground holds water too long and then dries out like a brick with the heat of summer. I knew that they would need feeding and that they needed the grit but my compost had so many tiny red worms I thought maybe  I should have mixed the compost up a bit with the soil.These bulbs looked the prettiest of tulips I have ever seen,and I paid a lot for them so I wanted to invest in their future.I dont know why it is but the worms collect around the inside of the lid of my plastic compost bin. Specially when its a hot day.

muntjac

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2006, 21:47 »
the worms collect there because of the moisture in the bin and the heat is to much for them so they try to escape ,.you need to incorporate sand and massive amounts of compost and the soil will improve throw sand on top the soil ( sharp sand from builders yard is about £14 a ton delivered  in a bag )  then dig it in as you would normally incorporating manure .rotavate it about a month later mixing both components in

Flower

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2006, 00:54 »
I'd been putting the worms into the next bin, No.2. They survive amongst the fruit and veg peelings horse manure and grass cuttings. Only the top of the bin gets hot, its cooler down below. The bins are hidden behind some bushes and up against the beech hedge. I think worms are good to cultivate ,afterall dont people have worm bins for finer compost and fertilizer?I 'll look out for the fine sand  but I'll add it to clay soil .
Did you ever ere the radio programme saying, "the answer lies in the soil?"Before your  time M.
Compost bin No. 1 with the worms has gone out with the daffs and tulips. No.3 bin is full of leaves and an added solution of sheep fertilizer. I think you suggested that somewhere. I have a  dustbin with a stocking full of sheep doings fermenting in rainwater.Lovely.At the moment I am raking up the leaves from my garden as often as the weather permits.

xx
Its All Going Wrong !!

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post May 22, 2009, 15:16
by Trillium
xx
Used the wrong spray !

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

11 Replies
Last post August 03, 2018, 15:46
by John
clip
what is this tree and what is wrong with it?

Started by andyf75 on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post June 24, 2013, 09:50
by andyf75
xx
What's wrong with our Tulips

Started by Sleepingpopman on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post May 24, 2013, 08:06
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 35 queries.