Thinking of Hiring an Allotment

• 12 Replies

Dawnte

« on: October 08, 2006, 19:44 »
Hello, I've just joined because I've recently caught the gardening bug and am toying with the idea of hiring an allotment.  The one piece of information I haven't been able to find is roughly how much it costs to hire one.  I realize prices must vary from area to area, however a roundabout figure would be really helpful.

Thanks!  :)

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 20:15 »
There's been some discussion of prices on here but in a nutshell it varies between councils from £15 to £80 a year with the bulk being around £20 a year.
You need to ask your council or whoever.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

noshed

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 20:15 »
They're mostly quite cheap - £20-£30 a year, but contact your local council for the full details.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Dawnte

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 20:19 »
Thanks for the prompt replies! :D  Now I have a ballpark figure I can at least decide whether I really am interested or not.  Of course, I shall contact the relevant authorities for a specific figure. I have a feeling the deciding factor (provided the rate isn't at the highest end of the spectrum) will be whether I would be allowed poultry as well.   :twisted:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006, 20:49 »
We had our name on a waiting list for two years before we reached the top and were allocated one this week  :D   So even if you haven't decided, get your name on the list.  You can always take it off later if you change your mind  :!:

Tensing

• Experienced Member
    • uk goat owners
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006, 23:09 »
Its amazing isn't it I walked in and had an allotment the next day, and theres till empty plots on site, as everybody wants to be on one of the other two sites the council owns not sure why I love our plot.

Dawnte you mybe able to find the information you want on your councils website.
Caroline

Dawnte

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006, 08:08 »
After a lot of searching on a rather poorly laid-out council website, I managed to find contact numbers for my nearest allotment.  Strangely, the link to the relevant numbers was not on any of the council's allotment information pages. :roll:

Anyway, it turns out my nearest allotment is run by an association.  Hopefully everything will work out and I won't have to wait.

Tensing

• Experienced Member
    • uk goat owners
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006, 09:06 »
Well let us know how you get on

Dawnte

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2006, 15:32 »
Well, I've been on the phone regarding a few allotment sites in my area and the prices range from £3 for a 5-pole allotment (no water or amenities) to £22 for a 10-pole allotment WITH ammenities.  Not bad prices, IMHO. :D

Unfortunately, nobody will allow me to keep poultry and carpets are now banned as well.  However, apparently all the plots are cultivated prior to hiring out, so I shouldn't have an overgrown mess to contend with anyway.

The conundrum now is:  Do I hire an allotment this month when they seem to be up for grabs or do I get my own garden here under control first (to help make the house more sellable) and THEN look into an allotment.  Decisions, decisions....

muntjac

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2006, 23:40 »
£5 a year with water ,no fires unless in bins allowed,must keep paths mown. water is free but you must conserve water by using water butts  greenhouses as many as you like up to 50% of the plot .one shed max size 15ft x 15ft weeds must not be allowed to flower on any plots fine £5 for breaking any rules and if you persist then you will be removed from the holders list .all plots are clean and ready to plant on as they are looked after .some new members get 6 mths of the rent the first year , seeds are greatly reduced through allotment association. no crops of a dubios nature to be planted .chickens and rabbits etc allowed .no big stock
some pictures of my plot this sumer i have the first 3 plots going back to the houses they are split in half with a path through to the gate in the back ground

still alive /............

Dawnte

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2006, 08:42 »
How cool!  :D   I'm so jealous of anyone who is allowed to keep chickens on their allotment.

greenie

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2006, 12:35 »
Muntjac, I cannot describe how envious I am  :shock:

muntjac

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2006, 12:47 »
it doesnt come about like that ina couple of days folks thats erm :oops:  a lot of years  :wink:  now i can get away with an hours weeding during the season .and no i dont dig it by hand every year .1 in 4 only .got a nice big machine to do it .the whole lot costs me £15 yr in rent i spend £150 on seeds etc , cannot imagine how much i save by growing all my own stuff. i have collected 10.1/2 sacks spud picasso and i am definatly growing them again next year . 1 estimate 7lbs per plant cropped  and loads of new tater sized ones so i reckon if i had left them another month in the soil i really would have had a bumper harvest.there was 1 barrow load of cow manure/horse manure to a yard in the trench and 4 potatos to a barrow laid on a lump of fresh straw then soil put on top in a mound /i only needed to rake up the mounds once during the season to prevent light getting into the tubers and stop water rotting them.my failure this year has been my celery.blooming wire worm,i wont be growing roots there gain until i poison the lot of with a heavy liming

xx
Thinking Ahead

Started by rugbymad40 on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post January 18, 2008, 10:31
by splodger
xx
New Allotment

Started by Digger the Dog on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post January 17, 2018, 18:45
by sunshineband
xx
Allotment Book

Started by scentedstock on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post January 20, 2008, 09:19
by WG.
xx
Flowers on an allotment

Started by Ma Lowe on General Gardening

22 Replies
Last post March 09, 2014, 08:53
by blackberryjam

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 34 queries.