Mowing Allotment Paths

• 5 Replies

Paul T

Mowing Allotment Paths
« on: June 07, 2013, 08:02 »
Our Allotment Society has recently moved to a new area, which is an ex meadow. The twenty plots have been laid out with 5ft paths between.  ! recently cut the grass paths with my typical rotary petrol mower with wheels either side.

The mower doesn't easily cut right up to the edge of the plots as the two wheels adjacent to the plot tend 'drop' over the edge of the plots.  It is possible to hold the mower over the edge of each plot (ie. allow the wheels on one side to run on the path and hold the mower 'dangling' over the plot), but this isn't easy as it's tiring after a few plots.

The society want to purchase a mower specifically for doing the the paths, has anyone any recommendations or suggestions to overcome this problem?  A cylinder mower isn't really an option as the ground is too rough.

Thanks

PT

smud6ie

Re: Mowing Allotment Paths
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 09:23 »
40 years ago I had a Qualcast mower which had an offset wheel configuration that allowed one to do what you require . What about running up each side with a strimmer so it deposits the cuttings on the path,then finishing the rest with the mower which will tidy the bits left from strimming.?
smud6ie

Paul Plots

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 09:32 »
Although our paths are narrower I have the same problem as you Paul.

To over come this I set my mower on the highest setting and run one side of the mower's wheels on the soil. This works well as I don't plant very close to the path edge and my soil is only slightly lower than the path.

An alternative mower type might be one with a roller as this should allow the mower to rest on the roller and slightly over-hang the edge. I didn't go for this type as they were quite a bit dearer.

I chose an alluminium deck for longer life.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Paul T

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 17:17 »
Thanks for the replies.

Smud6ie. As you suggest, we are currently strimming the edges prior to mowing. However 20 plots to strim involves 1000yds of strimming, which is a bit tough on the back. The offset wheels mower is interesting, are they still available?

Paul. The plots have only recently been set up. The first job was for a digger to 'scrape' the top 6inches of meadow from each plot, so running one set of mower wheels on the soil wouldn't really work due to the 'drop' to the surface of the soil.

Cheers

PT

hightide

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 20:54 »
I was thinking about your problem and you could splash out on a motorised edge trimmer, I don't think there is currently a machine that will do both at the same time.
However it should be possible to attach a removable edger to the blade shaft of a roller mower, allowing you to mow and edge at the same time. A pulley with strimmer string or wire or chain attached could act as a small flail with a suitable cover.
This means you would have to rethink your options and opt for a roller mower as it is very difficult to take a 90 degree offtake from your rotary mower. 
A weed is a plant that's in the wrong place and intends to stay

smud6ie

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 21:57 »
Thanks for the replies.

Smud6ie. As you suggest, we are currently strimming the edges prior to mowing. However 20 plots to strim involves 1000yds of strimming, which is a bit tough on the back. The offset wheels mower is interesting, are they still available?

Paul. The plots have only recently been set up. The first job was for a digger to 'scrape' the top 6inches of meadow from each plot, so running one set of mower wheels on the soil wouldn't really work due to the 'drop' to the surface of the soil.

Cheers

PT

I used to do repairs foe a Lawnboy dealer and they had one with offset wheels but I have not seen one for years.
I don't think it would take too much imagination to get a cheap steel deck mower that had individual wheel adjustment and fix a front and rear wheel or castor to the deck a few inches inside the wheel line on one side .This would then allow the deck to over hang,another posibility may be one of those powered strimmer heads on wheels like this

smud6ie

xx
Paths

Started by noshed on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post September 24, 2006, 20:48
by noshed
xx
Making paths

Started by MisterPlough on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post February 22, 2007, 18:05
by MisterPlough
xx
Weed membrane on paths

Started by RJR_38 on Equipment Shed

18 Replies
Last post March 15, 2013, 12:37
by cadalot
xx
New Allotment

Started by dobby on Equipment Shed

14 Replies
Last post September 22, 2006, 20:43
by noshed

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 38 queries.