Rough grass strimmer

• 4 Replies

Goosegirl

Rough grass strimmer
« on: April 17, 2014, 13:23 »
Anyone recommend one to use on the coarse grass between my veg beds? I used to have a simple, inexpensive grass strimmer (Black and Decker?) which did a good job, then bought a more powerful Stihl. I find it doesn't cut as low and, maybe due to its power and my lack of strength, "jumps" over tougher grasses and doesn't do as good a job. Ideally, I would like a battery-operated one.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Lardman

Re: Rough grass strimmer
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 15:03 »
Im surprised the Stihl isn't up to the job GG, I know they're highly rated by most.  Was it the FSE 31 ?

I have an very old B&Q corded one I use for tiding up when I don't want to the get the petrol one out and fight with it, the line is much thinner than the petrol and I find it slices grass better than the thicker line which pushes the thinner stuff down.

I think the FSE 31 is 1.6mm line might be worth trying 1.2mm if you can get it.

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 15:24 »
It's the FSE 81 model. Ah - if a thinner line does a better job, then I might just try it. I also find re-threading the line an awful job as the unscrewing of the top is an absolute b*******d!

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 15:44 »
Gurgle tells me the line is 2.0mm on those  :ohmy: Probably very good for knocking down a rough patch full of tall grass and weeds but a bit thick for trimming around the veg beds.  Not sure if you can get smaller line for them ?  Been and Queued do a dirt cheap strimmer (about £12) which would probably be cheaper than a new line for the FSE81  :nowink: It will probably come with the thinnest, nastiest line available but it would give you the chance to test the theory.

jezza

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 00:03 »
hi i have some 1.3 mm line if its any good to you .to replace line place arrows opposite each other on spool push line in it should go into a hole each side then turn spool clockwise when the loop of line is 4 inches cut in half spool now loaded quickly    jezza

xx
cordless or petrol grass strimmer

Started by Remy on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post September 01, 2010, 16:08
by missycat
xx
advice on strimmer / hedge strimmer

Started by The Golden Heap on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post May 29, 2012, 09:32
by smud6ie
xx
Mower engine rough

Started by Flatcat on Equipment Shed

12 Replies
Last post August 19, 2012, 20:21
by Flatcat
xx
Strimmer Help

Started by squiffy2 on Equipment Shed

13 Replies
Last post June 09, 2008, 08:17
by amberleaf

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 38 queries.