our back lawn

• 6 Replies

wighty

our back lawn
« on: February 25, 2019, 19:36 »
During this Winter      our back lawn as turned itself into a moss lawn.  We do own a scarifier(sp)  but we would be left with  just bare earth.  Does anyone have any ideas  at what we could do?

Fairy Plotmother

Re: our back lawn
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 20:35 »
During this Winter      our back lawn as turned itself into a moss lawn.  We do own a scarifier(sp)  but we would be left with  just bare earth.  Does anyone have any ideas  at what we could do?
Snap! 😡 and I really don’t like it. It will have to be the scarifier .......once I get it back from my brother in law 🙄 and reseed. no other ideas I’m afraid.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 15:04 »
I have got a large bare patch from last years heat-wave, that has now gone mossy, and I don't know what to do with that either.  :(  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

snow white

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 16:03 »
You are going to have to scarify it peeps.  Then rough over bare patches and reseed.  Don't cover the seed as grass seeds are fragile. Keep watered.  Then you will have to fertilise in a few months.  Next autumn leave the grass a bit longer so it has a chance of surviving.  Mine does it every year as in the winter I have no sunshine on my back lawn.  It looks a mess now.  Come summer it will look fine again.

Or you could pave the area, or put artificial turf down

wighty

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 19:23 »
The lawn is very 'bumpy' as when I moved in it had several conifers (miniature ones fortunately) dotted over it.  We dug them all out and now the lawn, as I say is bumpy.  Scarify it is then but I don't think it will be this weekend going on the weather forecast. Did you know that grass seed is 0% Vat as it is considered part of the food chain!

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2019, 12:02 »
My front lawn has suffered badly with "dry patch" following last Summer's heat; dark areas of dead turf, that don't regrow. The thatch has become water repellent, so it's bone dry underneath, yet wet and mossy on the surface.   My lawn has all the warning signs: sloping site, sandy soil, full sun and an old lawn.

To try and restore it, I started by spiking it all over with a garden fork last Autumn to let the water back in and relieve any compaction.

At the end of October I applied "no rake" moss remover pellets, which contain a bacteria to eat the moss and thatch.  This might seem an odd time to apply them but it was wet and very mild (above the 10c that the bacteria need to work), and the weather stayed mild throughout November. This seems to have made a big difference to the dead thatch; before it was very fibrous and hard to dig out, now it is much weaker and almost lifts off in places.

I gave the lawn a hand raking during the warm spell in February, and in some areas the thatch just crumbled off leaving bare patches.

I've been reseeding patches since last Autumn, even during mild spells through Winter, and I'm doing a lot of reseeding now. I'm using a knife to lift the dead thatch off, working around and leaving any grass that's still growing. It seems to pick up once the thatch around it has been cleared, and I'm hoping it will spread back into the bare areas. 

There's quite a lot of advice on line e.g. the RHS website, as a result of which I'm going to start using a lawn wetting agent, which is apparently what a lot of professional groundsmen use. 

DSC03278.JPG
DSC03279.JPG

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2019, 17:36 »
I think you could use a squirt of washing up liquid in water as a wetting agent. It works on superdried compost alright
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
Short back and sides for the Lawn

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post July 26, 2019, 08:19
by snow white
clip
MY lawn !!!!§

15 Replies
Last post September 07, 2020, 13:53
by mrs bouquet
xx
New Lawn

Started by Jamie Butterworth on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post May 25, 2010, 20:41
by clarkey95
xx
My new lawn

5 Replies
Last post July 09, 2019, 18:33
by hasbeans

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 44 queries.