How much do you think it will cost you

• 35 Replies

AnneB

Re: How much do you think it will cost you
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2012, 18:26 »
I prefer to look at it from the other direction.  How much will it cost you not to have an allotment?   I added up everything I grew in my first full year on the plot, plus a small amount of salad, tomatoes and fruit that I grow at home, then priced it up.   I had grown things to the value of £606.39.

Our plot is not yet in full cultivation, so someone with a full plot going full tilt should produce more.  As well as the amount I saved buying fruit and vegetables, they tasted better and I knew what had gone into growing them, I got lots of exercise plus companionship from fellow plotholders.

Even with water in short supply and perhaps reduced yields, as DD mentioned earlier, the price of everything will be going up in the shops too.

However, I have to add that there is no sign of a lack of water at our plot here in Bradford.  We are trying to finish off a raised bed at the bottom of the plot, but can't as it's waterlogged.  The rest of the plot is certainly not dry.  I count our blessings on the water front.

snowdrops

« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2012, 18:50 »
I've just spent £1.99 on a bag of potatoes, the first I,ve bought since last august. Thats 8 months without buying spuds.  Just about a couple of weeks of onions left also so I would say the money I have saved just with these 2 crops have more than covered the cost of this years seeds and compost.

There is an initial outlay with fruit bushes etc but when I think I've probably made 50 jars of jam, chutney etc, more savings and as for fruit pies and crumbles and leek flans

I know I don't grow to save money but it might be interesting to add up the costings of what we crop  -  might even give it a go (I'll probably forget though)

As for rhubarb, I've got so much I feel a jam session coming on.

I only water with a can and only on new seeds and seedlings.  Everything has to get on by itself and it makes the roots go down deeper in search of water.  Watering every day just produces short roots and the likelihood of crop failure when you can't get to water.
Hear,hear
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

sarajane

« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2012, 20:02 »
After reading these posts I may think about trying to weigh my crops this year, roughly working out their cost and adding this to my diary on say a monthly basis and see just how much I am saving  -  although the cost of growing your own is actulally priceless if its the taste and enjoyment you are after  :)  :)  :)

Ian_A

• Experienced Member
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2012, 22:47 »
taste, variety, enjoyment and convenience are the most significant factors for me - in that order. Price comes as a bonus and even in years when productivity has been a lot lower than others I have made huge savings.
And I have still not bought veg and most fruit for a couple of years, although I would if I had to.

Elaine G

« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2012, 23:32 »
At the present time the cost is irrelevant as I can afford (within reason!) to do what I like on my plot.
The most important thing for me is anti stress.
The best stress buster I know is sitting on your plot munching on freshly picked peas, or sweetcorn, or strawberries, etc, and saying to blazes with work  :tongue2:
Hubby rarely sees any peas  :lol:
However, retirement is not all that far away and hopefully with the advice of all you good people I will be able to keep us reasonably supplied with veg to supplement the pension.

Elaine
The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet - James Oppenheim

Paul Plots

« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2012, 23:37 »
My plot neighbours are practically suicidal about the threat of a hosepipe ban(Portsmouth Water not yet affected)-thats because they connect up 3 sprinklers and then sit on their arris' for the evening!
Ive always used a watering can IF i water at all-i believe my plants are stronger because of it and i dont see the point of watering the ground where my plants arent!

Sensible chap you are!!!

I'm in Portsmouth Water area but much further east. Delighted, so far, to see we can still use a hose to top up water butts & baths especially as all around me there's a hose pipe ban.

I never use a hose to water with directly..... who wants to splash it all about and encourage the weeds, shock the plants with cold water and waste what precious little drops we have.  :blink:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

xx
Cost?

Started by Zammoimp on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 07, 2009, 00:20
by woodburner
xx
The cost of garlic

Started by Brian_of_Bozeat on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 15, 2008, 08:33
by Alex 98
xx
Seed cost?

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

62 Replies
Last post January 20, 2012, 12:10
by mumofstig
xx
cost of a plot?

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

52 Replies
Last post March 23, 2007, 15:04
by Mrs Gumage

Page created in 0.36 seconds with 38 queries.