bayliss autovent

• 7 Replies

davel831

• i dont know evrything!! But can i learn
bayliss autovent
« on: May 17, 2012, 07:15 »
Hi all
        our green house temperatures have been up and down, min about 7c and max 38c. we have whitewashed 3 sides of the greenhouse and roof to try and prevent burning of the leaves, and try to keep the temps down.

The roof window measures 30 inch by 20 inch, and i am pondering to get a bayliss autovent to help keep the temps down? it is in a semi sheltered spot and we are south to south west facing?

any help or advice will be brilliant

many thanks beforehand

dave  :D

Dave

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: bayliss autovent
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 08:53 »
I've got one and it does what it says on the tin - a bit fiddly to fit (3 hands would have been better, but I've only got two so literally had to use my head!  :lol:)

It is operated by a wax-filled cylinder which expands or contracts with the changing temperature - it doesn't seem to be unduly affected by the sun going in and out (i.e. the window doesn't jerk up and down like the proverbial fiddler's elbow!)

Bayliss have been around for a long time so you should have spares backup if required - make sure you get the right one for your size of window and greenhouse frame (the suppliers should be able to help you on that score.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 09:10 »
Mine isn't a Bayliss, it was a cheap one off ebay, but it works in just the same way as Jay says.

It stops everything cooking inside, if I decide to have a lie-in  :lol:

Just don't try to fit it on a bright sunny day -as I did ::)  :nowink:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 11:38 »
I think the one I have on my big greenhouse is a Bayliss.  Brian bought it for his Mum's little greenhouse in the mid 60's, and its only just gone kapput!!

davel831

• i dont know evrything!! But can i learn
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 16:41 »
thanks for the replies guys i am very impressed!! :D

On a hot day do they really work and keep the temp down in the greenhouse? and do you have to keep the door open as well, or can i leave that shut and just use the top window?

cheers again for the amazing replies

dave   :D :D

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 17:30 »
I've still had to keep the door open when its really hot.  The autovent opens the window, that's all, so it is a help, but it still gets hot in there.  Just means I don't have to rush out first thing and start opening windows in there.

Well at least that's when it was working! lol

Flatcat

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 18:07 »
We have a bayliss which we bought last year and I must say I cannot fault it at all

Fitting was a bit fiddly, but it was well worth it :lol:

savbo

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 09:42 »
I've used B&Q's own brand on 2 greenhouses and they've worked fine. Still need the door and louvre vents open but keep the louvres part open all the time from mid May and once the auto vent opens you get enough air to stop things cooking

Should have got one for the small ghouse, then I wouldn't have lost 20 lettuces and 10 fennel last weekend  >:(

sav

xx
Adjusting autovent opening distance??

Started by infowarrior on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post June 05, 2007, 22:21
by shaun

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 34 queries.