Invasion of the cetoins!

• 13 Replies

catllar

Invasion of the cetoins!
« on: April 30, 2011, 13:34 »
Last year I had a problem with my roses bieng munched by some largish beetle-type jobbies (1cm long) often covered in pollen. To the extent that I had not one decent flower. They seem to prefer pale colours and are also on my pale irises and the white-flowered cistus. I tried spraying with pyrethrum-based insecticides but no great succes. The most satisfactory method seems to be to drown them but this year they are back again. I took a sample along to a rose breeder nearby and he said they are called cetoines (often come in a bright green colour too) and are very difficult to eradicate (so that's good then) he said there are pro sprays available but not to the likes of little old us. He suggested a spray of macerated fern fronds. Any thoughts?

Ice

• muck spreader
Re: Invasion of the cetoins!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 13:57 »
Cheese makes everything better.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 14:47 »
rose chafer...can't find a pesticide either  :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cetonia_aurata

agapanthus

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 16:30 »
get an ounce of condor pipe tobbaco soak it in bottle with a pint of warm water .leave in sun for up to a week.strain through fine muslin..( old mans best teashirt) and sprry the * with it ...  8) get up em real nasty  8)

Paul Plots

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 16:37 »
get an ounce of condor pipe tobbaco soak it in bottle with a pint of warm water .leave in sun for up to a week.strain through fine muslin..( old mans best teashirt) and sprry the * with it ...  8) get up em real nasty  8)

Alternatively do the same with an ash-tray full of old fag butts!! Disgusting!  :tongue2: Cheaper and quite probably something that no one should recommend any one else to use. (Wear gloves!!)

If Aunty spots this post it'll be a gonna! Whoops.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 18:03 »
This site cannot promote or condone the use of home made pesticides.  Please read this link.
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=65430.0

Someone had to say it. :tongue2:

Paul Plots

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 00:14 »
This site cannot promote or condone the use of home made pesticides.  Please read this link.
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=65430.0

Someone had to say it. :tongue2:

I guessed they would  ;) And......of course...... I quite agree.  :mellow:

fatcat1955

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 10:03 »
Just googled it and control methods (sprays) for the grape moth will also control rose chafers. Not sure if you can get them in the UK though.

catllar

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 11:21 »
Is this what you have?

http://www.pest-control.com/beetles/flower-beetle/

Thanks for the advice and Yes that's the blighter! I've squidged 20 this morning and drowned another 20. I would of course never condone the use of home-made pesticideds so I'll  have to see if I can find someone who smo....... Something similar in an appproved form ;)

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 11:25 »
As the link says it's probably best to get someone in to eradicate the grubs in the soil rather than try to kill the adults.  I think that could be a bit of a fag. ;)

muntjac

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 11:58 »

....think someone else may have been using my log in name!!!! Serves me right for clicking 'remember me'!!!! ;) ;)
still alive /............

agapanthus

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 12:43 »

....think someone else may have been using my log in name!!!! Serves me right for clicking 'remember me'!!!! ;) ;)

How's  that for confusion!!!!! I thought I was  logged in and Karl had used my profile!!!.....but was wrong :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:....time for a lie down methinks!!!

catllar

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 15:08 »
I love you all! I really appreciate your suggestions.

Ice:"get someone in to deal with the larvae" is wonderful -  would it were that simple. The nearest you are liable to get to "someone" is a bloke with a chainsaw or a shovel!

FatCat: Can't find anything licensed for public use for grape moth. They aren't allowed to spray grapes here except with Bordeaux mix and I guess all that would do is paint them blue!

I've taken these beetle jobs to all sorts of supposed experts and only the rose-breeder could identify them and offer - "fernjuice" as a repellant.

Much as I love this country, I have to agree with OH who says that unless you can eat it drive it or drink it, the French, bless'em, are a little lacking! Flowers come a long way down the list of French priorities in the pecking order. I say no more! ( she says, creeping away quietly)

catllar

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011, 13:40 »
Here's an update for those of you who gave me advice about my bugs.

I have taken to drowning them - very satisfactory - "die you b...ar" and with a regular thrice daily trip round the garden the population has reduced - hooray. This morning I got just 1!!! Comparing that to over  40 a day a week ago and I'm happy!

The second flush of roses is coming out relatively unscathed, but I have decided  in the interests of sanity to haved the pale roses out this autumn and find something less attractive to these things. I notice they do not like strong colours so that might be the way to go.

It'll be a shame to ditch the roses because they have finally reached their optimum height and at close on two metres tall and as much across the bushes are quite a focal point. I'll need something pretty substantial to take their place. Looks like a trip to the nursery might be on the cards - drat! :D

I've followed up on the chemical suggestions with poor results: I know no-one who smokes  and I'm not going scavenging in local ashtrays, thanks. :tongue2:

All that is on offer at local garden centre is aphid spray and "kind to nature" stuff - heck I don't want "kind to nature" in this case, I want "kill the b.....ds stone dead" stuff!

xx
Poppy invasion

Started by carlrmj on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post June 21, 2012, 07:29
by sunshineband
clip
Lilly beetle invasion

Started by rosiecider on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post August 10, 2015, 19:32
by 8doubles
angry
Water lily invasion

Started by tode on General Gardening

22 Replies
Last post August 02, 2009, 08:55
by 8doubles

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 37 queries.