Wakehurst Place, Sussex

• 8 Replies

SusieQ

Wakehurst Place, Sussex
« on: March 11, 2009, 18:12 »
Wakehurst Place in Sussex is a wonderful place for a day out.  It is tagged as Kew Gardens place in the countryside and doesn't disappoint.  It is jointly owned by the National Trust and if you have National Trust membership you get in for free.

Apart from the large gardens, woods, valley, lakes and meadow there is the Millenium Seedbank.  This is a large building where you can watch the scientists working as the clean and store seeds from all over the world.

There are also a couple of cafe/restaurants, a shop and a garden centre.

Paul Plots

Re: Wakehurst Place, Sussex
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 22:32 »
They also run short courses - great garden with lots of variety.

I have some photos somewhere (I hate resizing them - why are cameras made with such huge mega-pixle capabilities??) :(
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

BarefootDancer

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 12:14 »
Wakehurst is just up the road from me and they have a new "Vanishing Meadows" exhibition going on at the moment.

Lots of information about encouraging wild flowers and some demonstrations of rural crafts, such as spinning and haymaking. They are also starting to use horses again in the management of their woodlands.

This weekend (1st & 2nd August) there is a stall manned by Central Sussex Beekeeping Association, in case any budding Sussex beekeepers are interested!

http://250.kew.org/CelebrateAtWakehurst/ExhibitionsampAttractions/SussexWealdMeadowsExhibition/index.htm

Barefoot xx
"Perhaps we could just dig up that bit of lawn......and plant more veg?"

Paul Plots

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 14:40 »
Take wellingtons?? Or a coat at least...... :(

I hope bees can fly in torrential rain? Perhaps the stall has a cover??   :tongue2:

BarefootDancer

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 21:35 »

I hope bees can fly in torrential rain? Perhaps the stall has a cover??   :tongue2:

:lol:  Yep, the weather was shocking yesterday!  I only ventured as far as the corner shop, got drenched even though I was wearing my mac, and the lady in there asked me if it was raining outside!  :wacko:

Very nice today though, although I didn't get over to Wakehurst unfortunately. Was busy picking plums from my Nan's tree and stoning them to go into the freezer  :)  It's only a small tree, but we've had about 60 lbs so far - all the neighbours are very happy!

Paul Plots

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 22:22 »

:lol:  Yep, the weather was shocking yesterday!  I only ventured as far as the corner shop, got drenched even though I was wearing my mac, and the lady in there asked me if it was raining outside!  :wacko:

Very nice today though, although I didn't get over to Wakehurst unfortunately. Was busy picking plums from my Nan's tree and stoning them to go into the freezer  :)  It's only a small tree, but we've had about 60 lbs so far - all the neighbours are very happy!

Plums already! That's brilliant - my tree is in its 2nd year and loaded but none yet ripe.

A dry day here - makes a change. I spent the day clearing my elderly father's garden of a lovely row of tomatoes - all hit by blight.  :( He took it very well considering he had grown them from seed and put so much effort into growing them at the age of 93.

Oh well - next year he intends sticking to indoor tomatoes - fingers crossed.

BarefootDancer

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 14:52 »

Plums already! That's brilliant - my tree is in its 2nd year and loaded but none yet ripe.

A dry day here - makes a change. I spent the day clearing my elderly father's garden of a lovely row of tomatoes - all hit by blight.  :( He took it very well considering he had grown them from seed and put so much effort into growing them at the age of 93.

Oh well - next year he intends sticking to indoor tomatoes - fingers crossed.

Yep, and lots of them!  A little early this year I think - we've already stripped the tree bare, apart from those at the top that I can't reach! Very frustrating, but I guess it's only fair to leave some for the birds and the bees.

What a shame about your father's tomatoes! I guess that is the risk with growing your own, but heartbreaking when you've nurtured a living thing from seed and then forces against your control step in.  Fingers crossed for the indoor ones next year!

Wild Pony

• Experienced Member
  • God made ducks to make him laugh
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 12:45 »
Ah Wakehurst....you're making me homesick guys.

Paul Plots

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2010, 17:21 »
Ah Wakehurst....you're making me homesick guys.

I went on a course there about 2 years ago.... had a brilliant day!  :)

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 39 queries.