blossom end rot

• 7 Replies

steven c

• Experienced Member
blossom end rot
« on: July 04, 2022, 18:00 »
we are getting BER on our Moneymaker toms in greenhouse Rosella and Golden Sunrise are ok can anyone suggest a good red cordon tom that is resistant BER now for next year   thanks in advance.
from bow like to grow

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
Re: blossom end rot
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2022, 19:42 »
I never get BER on cherry toms, I grow apero that's red and it tastes good, bit sweet for some.  If you want a larger salad/slicing type I can't help!

AnneB

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2022, 19:59 »
I am having blossom end rot on 1 tomato in the greenhouse for the first time ever this year.

I am a bit perplexed.  All of the tomatoes in there have been watered as regular as clockwork.  All the other tomatoes have had the same watering and feeding regime in the same compost.

I have Purple Ukraine, Sweet Aperitif, Bellandine, Tigerella, Auntie Madge, Shirley, Rosella and Ailsa Craig all fine.

A second Ailsa Craig plant has every fruit affected by blossom end rot.

Is it worth persevering with the plant? Or do I decide there is something wrong in its development and end its life?

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2022, 20:46 »
I am having blossom end rot on 1 tomato in the greenhouse for the first time ever this year.

I am a bit perplexed.  All of the tomatoes in there have been watered as regular as clockwork.  All the other tomatoes have had the same watering and feeding regime in the same compost.

I have Purple Ukraine, Sweet Aperitif, Bellandine, Tigerella, Auntie Madge, Shirley, Rosella and Ailsa Craig all fine.

Is it worth persevering with the plant? Or do I decide there is something wrong in its development and end its life?

Check my post here regarding nutrient availability, especially the chart in the first link given:  https://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=136383.msg1571514#msg1571514

Also, the whole thread at https://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=136548.0 is useful, especially the link that lettice posted today to RHS information regarding BER. 

Blossom end rot is most often caused by uneven watering, due to it's effect on calcium availability throughout the plant. BUT, at the wrong soil pH, calcium may not be available from the soil to the plant.  I suggest checking your soil pH to see if it is too low or too high. That pH check may either point to a cause (pH too high or too low), or may eliminate pH as a cause (if you are in the correct pH range). 

Your compost could be OK with respect to pH, but low pH can be common in compost.  Mushroom compost is the only type I am aware of that is usually around pH 7, + or - 1 pH unit.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 20:51 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

AnneB

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2022, 20:57 »

Check my post here regarding nutrient availability, especially the chart in the first link given:  https://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=136383.msg1571514#msg1571514

Also, the whole thread at https://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=136548.0 is useful, especially the link that lettice posted today to RHS information regarding BER. 

Blossom end rot is most often caused by uneven watering, due to it's effect on calcium availability throughout the plant. BUT, at the wrong soil pH, calcium may not be available from the soil to the plant.  I suggest checking your soil pH to see if it is too low or too high. That pH check may either point to a cause (pH too high or too low), or may eliminate pH as a cause (if you are in the correct pH range). 

Your compost could be OK with respect to pH, but low pH can be common in compost.  Mushroom compost is the only type I am aware of that is usually around pH 7, + or - 1 pH unit.
The plants are all in pots with the same bought compost.   All in the same conditions with the same regular watering and feeding regime.  Just the one plant with blossom end rot on all its fruit.  None on the others.
No real explanation.  Is it worth persevering with this plant?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2022, 21:04 »
It's due to a poor uptake of calcium, which is usually because of irregular watering.
Watering regularly doesn't mean that the plants aren't getting dry, perhaps for just half an hour before you give them their next watering on a very hot day, as an example.

You could sprinkle around and then water in a little gypsum, or Dolomite  lime

geordiekev

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2022, 06:51 »
I tend to water mine with lime water. I put a 2 table spoon of lime in a 4 pint milk carton fill with water, mix well then add about half pint to a watering can and feed my toms this. Every month, and it works for me.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2022, 09:13 »
This other thread is also about BER and at least we all agree on the cause  ::) :D
https://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=136548.msg1571766;topicseen#new

question
Blossom end rot?

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 10, 2014, 17:37
by Headgardener22
xx
Blossom End Rot

Started by rwhittington on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 21, 2011, 21:44
by rwhittington
xx
Blossom end rot

Started by Reidragon on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 12, 2008, 21:49
by DD.
xx
Blossom end rot.

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 18, 2013, 22:04
by solway cropper

Page created in 0.344 seconds with 35 queries.