Grit question???

• 18 Replies

lmpd

• Experienced Member
  • peas & love
Grit question???
« on: November 25, 2011, 18:39 »
Our girls don't seem to bother with their grit, but they do free range most of the day, my question is - will they get what they need while out and about???

Thanks in advance!!!

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Grit question???
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 19:38 »
They'll get grit from scratching and foraging around in the ground. I reckon they're not bothering with the grit you're providing, as they don't need it just now. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

hillfooter

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 04:31 »
Also they get ALL the calcium they need from their layers feed assuming you feed this and don't feed them on an unbalanced ad hoc diet.  Even if they free range feed a significant amount most layers feed contains 4% Ca which is significantly more than most backyard chx need.

They will also pick up Ca from the ground.  However having said this it's still a good idea to provide soluable (oystershell) grit particularly for older hens and crushed granite (insoluable) if your ground is deficient in grit as some clays are.  They will take what they need no need to worry or add to their food.
HF
Truth through science.

lmpd

• Experienced Member
  • peas & love
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 19:42 »
Thanks for that guys, that is a relief!!!

They do start their day with pellets (ex-batt pellets) then a handful of corn or a treat (leftover rice or pasta) in the afternoon!!!

hillfooter

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 21:28 »
Thanks for that guys, that is a relief!!!

They do start their day with pellets (ex-batt pellets) then a handful of corn or a treat (leftover rice or pasta) in the afternoon!!!

When you say start the day with pellets they should have layers available ad lib all the time. Just to clarify that point backyard chx aren't fed on rations they have access to food all the time and they only eat what they need.

HF

lmpd

• Experienced Member
  • peas & love
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 21:40 »
That's interesting, are you saying they should have access to pellets all day long???

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 21:52 »
yes and they should be the majority of their food. Remember the corn is just a treat and not necessary really  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

lmpd

• Experienced Member
  • peas & love
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 19:24 »
Would that not lead to weight problems - as they will hoover their way through anything that you give them???

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 20:01 »
No they just eat their fill and spend the rest of the time resting, preening and dust bathing.  Ours have access to over a weeks supply of layers pellets in two separate feeders but they only eat what they need.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 09:05 »
My feeder holds 10kg of pellets at a time!  :blink:  But my chickens definitely don't overeat.  It's only those naughty sparrows that would eat them all if they got a chance.

hillfooter

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 13:09 »
My theory on this (and I've not read any research specifically on this topic) is that bulk plays a significant role in a chx ability to regulate it's food intake.  

The crop being a receptical for predigested food plays a role I suspect in guaging bulk.  If you over feed birds on high energy dense foods such as fats and protein then indeed they can become obese.  A bird in a natural environment will spend a significant amount of it's activity foraging for food and it's diet is mostly low calorie dense fibre so they need to eat significant bulk and spend a long time browsing.  If you over feed on household scraps (also technically illegal) or high energy seeds then they get their energy requirements quickly by eating relatively little.  This has two undesirable effects.  One they need to be active for less time so get less exercise and most importantly can develop boredom habits like feather pecking and two they can indeed over eat on calories.

For the above reasons scratch feeds (unbalanced feed like mealworms, pasta, soya and rice etc) should be strictly rationed.  I also suspect feeds such as Garvo showing bird feeds which were developed to boost condition if fed longterm are not good.  A balanced layers feed should be the staple diet.  Free range chx are less likely to eat unhealthily though the balance maybe suspect.

HF
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 13:13 by hillfooter »

lmpd

• Experienced Member
  • peas & love
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 20:48 »
Cheers for that guys, I'll up the amount of pellets I leave out - though what I give them now is about what I think they'll get through without leaving any for mice or rats!!!

ANHBUC

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 21:06 »
Just bring the feeders in overnight to prevent vermin.

hillfooter

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 23:08 »

Or the usual method is to hang the feed dispenser at chx back height under cover (to protect from being fouled and the weather and vermin.
HF

ANHBUC

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2011, 00:28 »

Or the usual method is to hang the feed dispenser at chx back height under cover (to protect from being fouled and the weather and vermin.
HF

That's what I do but I have read that mice are adept at negotiating this obstacle.

xx
Chicken Grit

Started by billathome65 on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post April 03, 2011, 09:04
by billathome65
xx
Quick Question

Started by hectorshome on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post July 11, 2010, 20:00
by hectorshome
xx
Nesting box question

Started by billathome65 on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post April 08, 2011, 20:35
by billathome65
xx
Silly question I know but...

Started by ali2 on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post September 01, 2010, 22:59
by evie2

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 34 queries.