To Clip or not to clip .........that.....is the question

• 27 Replies

feelingbroody

• Experienced Member
 :)  My girls are now approaching 15 weeks, do I , should I or when should I clip wings and is it only the one??? I have clipped wings in the past but not chickens so I dont want to get it wrong. Any help please. Oh I do have seven foot fencing round the garden but I just want to be sure they dont fly off. My garden is fax proof as far as I am aware I have never seen one or seen any signs of one. I do have cats in the garden though. I would only intend only letting them go free range if I was at home also.

Thank you

Broodiness  :blink:
if wishes were changes.......

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
:)  My girls are now approaching 15 weeks, do I , should I or when should I clip wings and is it only the one??? I have clipped wings in the past but not chickens so I dont want to get it wrong. Any help please. Oh I do have seven foot fencing round the garden but I just want to be sure they dont fly off. My garden is fax proof as far as I am aware I have never seen one or seen any signs of one. I do have cats in the garden though. I would only intend only letting them go free range if I was at home also.

Thank you

Broodiness  :blink:

so no point me asking for the fax number so my hens can send messages to yours then  :lol: :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

joyfull

I don't clip my girls wings as I like them being able to get out of the dogs reach just incase my dogs have a lapse of concentration and chase them.
If you do decide to clip then yes it is just the one wing so that they get unbalanced when trying to fly (they still will be able to fly but not as well) and then after they moult you clip the other side to keep their muscles even.

dizzylizzie

I have only clipped 2 of my chickens wings as they were both very flighty...however , these 2 STILL get over the fence on a regular basis :blink: :blink: :blink:

compostqueen

I gave up bothering as my light weight little hybrids just flew right out the coop once they'd been done, just as if to say yah boo snubs to you missus  :tongue2: :D

The chickens probably won't fly out (bantams might) over a 7 foot fence but the fox may and I wouldn't let them out unaccompanied

Elcie

We had a 3ft fence and so therefore it wasn't worth clipping wings as they can literally hop over it.

One word of caution for you though - if the cats can get in and out then so can the foxes.  Just because you have never seen one doesn't make your garden fox proof I am afraid.

Evansent

• Experienced Member
Just the other day I watched a fox scale our 6ft fence...easy as pie..didin't think twice. Thank goodness my girls were in their runs!!!
It's not the years that age you, it's the weekends!!!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Could girls the size of a blackstar fly over a fence 2.4m high?
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

joyfull

Hi Sunny, - just had to get my tape measure out to see how high 2.4m high is - turns out it's nearly 8 feet (I can think better in feet and inches  :lol:) so I doubt it, if they were bantams then yes but large fowl especially when over a year old then no  :)

feelingbroody

• Experienced Member
I don't clip my girls wings as I like them being able to get out of the dogs reach just incase my dogs have a lapse of concentration and chase them.
If you do decide to clip then yes it is just the one wing so that they get unbalanced when trying to fly (they still will be able to fly but not as well) and then after they moult you clip the other side to keep their muscles even.

LOL you really are bonkers on here aren't you  :nowink:

feelingbroody

• Experienced Member
Re: To Clip or not to clip .........that.....is the question
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 19:11 »
Ok chaps, thank you for your posts! and faxes  :D :D :D I think I will cllip the wings although they do seem a lot steadier over the last few days (amazing what a few grapes can do !! although they do get confused with pink nail varnish.... mine that is not the husbands  :D
I only intend to let them roam around whilst I am with them pottering in the garden.

Next question ..... when you let them out  .....how do you get them back in ???? or are they homing chickens  :wub:  sorry to ask such a daft question but I really dont know

Cheers all

broodiness  ::)

joyfull

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 19:31 »

LOL you really are bonkers on here aren't you  :nowink:

dont understand why you think I'm bonkers as the statement above is factual.

feelingbroody

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 19:36 »
sorry joyfull I think I quoted the wrong answer  :D I meant the one about my typo with the fax :wacko:

feelingbroody

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 19:38 »
is there a link on here on correct way to clip flight feathers pls joyful :)

thank you :D

joyfull

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 19:50 »
if you type into google how to clip a chickens wings it should show you a link to the omlet website where you will fing photos  :)
As I said I don't do it however I have had to do 1 of the guinea fowl this evening as he has spent last night and all day over the beck and in next doors garden - luckily she really likes them so when I hatch some next year she is going to have some off me  :D

xx
Daft chicken youtube clip

Started by New shoot on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post September 13, 2010, 20:24
by azubah
xx
Question from a non hen keeper

Started by Snap Dragon on Chicken Chat

8 Replies
Last post October 07, 2010, 16:21
by birmancats
xx
Grit question???

Started by lmpd on Chicken Chat

18 Replies
Last post December 06, 2011, 13:31
by diamond_lil
question
Moulting question

Started by carolbriar on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post June 22, 2010, 11:02
by Caralou

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 39 queries.