What have you got growing for the winter?

• 11 Replies

Plot94

What have you got growing for the winter?
« on: November 22, 2018, 16:08 »
Just wondered what folks have got in their tunnels & greenhouses this winter.

I have planted - Kohl Rabbi, Red Russian Kale, Chard, French Beans and Red and Brown Onions which are all doing very well.

The Chard & Kale I expect to go well right onto the spring when they will have to make way for something else. The Kohl Rabbi are swelling nicely and the leaves are being harvested separately for cooking.

The French Beans have been producing heroically but I expect this bout of cold weather will have finished them off now. Still got masses of chilies on the plants to harvest and with a bit of luck some plants may pull through the winter for next year. Have Sweet potatoes to harvest and a newly planted grape which is establishing well.

Definitely wouldn't be without my tunnel as it has given me so much over the years, including somewhere to shelter with a mug of coffee when its raining or snowing.  :D

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
Re: What have you got growing for the winter?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 16:12 »
Black magic kale, a few caulis and a variety of salad leaves, radishes and Tokyo cross turnips.
And some coriander, dill and parsley too.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2018, 17:09 »
Rocket, winter lettuce mix (not doing too well, perhaps the cold came to early for it?) teeny corn salad, perennial spinach and a few Chinese veg plants from a mixed seed pkt. Lots of over-wintering garden plants and seedlings that need some protection from the worst of the weather.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2018, 17:23 »
Perpetual Spinach, Mustard Greens, PSB, Scarlet Curly Kale, Winter Lettuce, Spring Onions, Hykeeper Onion seedlings, Celery leaf, Chinese Dragon Radish, Mooli

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2018, 17:46 »
funny you should ask that question  we have onions both spring  and bulb growing from seed also autumn sets cauliflower and spring cabbage for [spring planting] also have some sweet Williams in pots and that's about it

I see your growing radish mooli  sunshineband although I.ve got some mooli seed haven't got round to sowing it because I don't know much about this veg any info for both growing and its uses would be most appreciated

Veg Plot 1B

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2018, 08:46 »
On the plot…Onion, Garlic, Cabbage, Kale, Purple Spouting Broccoli, Cauliflower & Brussels sprouts.

In greenhouse.... trays of lettuce, land cress, rocket & Winter Purslane what ever that is.

Plus 2 Jalapeños & 1 Tabasco plant that are still active and a tomatoes plant with 2 toms on it.

lettice

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2018, 09:12 »
Leeks, Spinach, Kale, Brussels sprouts and the last row of turnips.
Baby carrots in patio pots.
Always love picking the Parsley this time of year.

Yesterday picked another cucumber, still have about five growing and plenty of tomatoes still on a few plants left in the greenhouse. A truly great hot summer and autumn has kept them growing.
Would usually end of October have cleared them all out of the greenhouse.
The mint that I cut down to the ground in October has a few plants producing nicely.
It got down to 3c outside a few days back, so that might have slowed them all down now.

Mr Dog

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2018, 17:18 »
Lettuce (Winter Density, Marvel of 4 Seasons, All Year Round and Hilde), Pak Choi, Mustard greens and Mizuna.

jaydig

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2018, 17:34 »
I've got sprouts, cabbage, leeks, humongous carrots, six tiny parsnips and the saddest looking examples of swedes I've ever seen.  Possibly some cauliflowers for late winter if they survive.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2018, 09:32 »
My greenhouse is packed  :lol:  I got a bit carried away with autumn sowings, so I have pots everywhere of oriental greens, salad leaves, herbs and then 2 big pots of dwarf snowpeas as an experiment.

Then I decided to sow a load of perennial flower seeds than I had impulse bought in 50p seed sales.  Some were way out of date, but the whole lot have germinated and are now potted on.  The upside is that I shall have loads of home produced 9cm perennials to plant out next spring or share  :)

Plot94

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2018, 09:10 »
Sounds like you all are utilizing your growing opportunities to the max. I am constantly surprised at the amount of people with a greenhouse who express surprise at the range of crops I grow over winter. Many just put the greenhouse to bed and start again the next year whilst bemoaning the 'hungry gap'. I don't think there is a week in the year when I cannot bring something home from the plot.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2018, 13:17 »
funny you should ask that question  we have onions both spring  and bulb growing from seed also autumn sets cauliflower and spring cabbage for [spring planting] also have some sweet Williams in pots and that's about it

I see your growing radish mooli  sunshineband although I.ve got some mooli seed haven't got round to sowing it because I don't know much about this veg any info for both growing and its uses would be most appreciated

Rowlandwells, we sow Mooli mid to late Summer, and they take longer to mature than summer radishes like cherry belle etc. They are Winter Hardy and can grow up to 3ocm long, although most of ours get to around 15-20cm . They are good in salads, being crunchy and spicy, but we also use them instead of turnips in cooked dishes, often curries, and they make a good quick pickle with carrots too. Our favourite use is to stuff parathas with a spicy mix of the grated root and chopped leaves. Totally lush

Add them to your sowing plan for next year around mid August!!

xx
Conservatory growing over winter...

Started by aardvark on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

3 Replies
Last post September 02, 2012, 07:56
by arugula
xx
Growing through Winter in a greenhouse

Started by hubballi on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

6 Replies
Last post March 19, 2011, 22:01
by mgf
xx
Greenhouse growing in winter

Started by Amilo on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

1 Replies
Last post May 05, 2012, 15:54
by arugula
xx
Growing salad crops for winter use.

Started by JayG on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

16 Replies
Last post August 10, 2013, 22:39
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 53 queries.