plants for border

• 9 Replies

Janeymiddlewife

plants for border
« on: May 25, 2008, 18:32 »
Can anyone suggest some plants for a  15' long, south facing border, which is overhung with neighbour's leylandii (gggrrr). tree roots everywhere, we cleared out loads of pulmonaria, jasmine, half dead honeysuckle, cotoneaster and leggy holly. Now have a completely bare strip to fill, it's about 4' deep and about 18" high, bounded by a brick retaining wall to the front and new fence running behind. Ideally i would like to plant perrenials, as soil is poor and dry, although will be digging in lots of manure & compost once we've levelled off all the old soil. Something flowery & scented, ideally - just don't have a clue as have always grown annuals in pots & tubs before now  :D

gobs

Re: plants for border
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 21:14 »
Quote from: "Janeymiddlewife"
Can anyone suggest some plants for a  15' long, south facing border,

we cleared out loads of pulmonaria, jasmine, half dead honeysuckle, cotoneaster and leggy holly.

Something flowery & scented, ideally

Jasmine. 8)

May I ask why you cleared all of them and what you were hoping to grow there?
Also is it a Ll. hedge or just a specimen, how old/tall and which direction - south, etc - from bed and how far?

usually rambling roses or bramble, serves neighbour right :twisted:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Janeymiddlewife

plants for border
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 23:41 »
thanks gobs - leylandii are about 30foot tall, one third of one came over fence in gales, decimating my nut tree and my veg plot - hence desire to get revenge. Instead of removing what's left (which we would have paid half of just to be rid of damn things) dim neighbour buys a chainsaw and has just hacked off lower branches, up to about 15 foot, leaving top heavy branches on 3 trees, "hoping" that he will somehow be able to create a nice leylandii hedge when they sprout again from the bottom :x  this despite me giving him the benefit of my opinion :twisted:
the border is south facing, but neighbour also has disputed ownership with another neighbour  over 3 alders which must be at least 40 foot and keep that end of the garden in fairly permanent shade. (we are bordered by 4 neighbours - very unusual shape plot due to some ancient land swapping)I was also wondering about rambling rose. We're still waiting to replace last fence panel as he isn't removing 2 foot of rubble that would just fall back and push out fence again :evil:  
His job? - health & safety advisor - not sure whether to  :D  or  :cry:

gobs

plants for border
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 08:27 »
Oh dear. It is very hard to establish any plant next to such a hedge, whatever you decide, grow to a decent size before planting and water well for the first 1-2 years after planting.

FCG

plants for border
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 21:53 »
I grew some red & yellow flowering wallflowers next to my neighbours, grew like a shot in one year and produces masses of early flowers with tons of seed. I've also had luck with snap dragons and lavender. They really seem to stick it out well. The lavender was nearly dead and i popped it right in and it took off! No special rooting compost or anything. Plus nothing dies when you forget to cut the hedge! I hardly worry about watering them either, the soil can be rock hard clay and they are still there. But i occasionally water them when i water by nearby raised bed.

Bombers

plants for border
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 09:48 »
What about Boston Ivy - Parthenocissus tricuspidata Veitchii, That shouldn't have much problem establishing, and will soon cover those Ll's :twisted:
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
plants for border
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 12:49 »
Talk to the council there are legal limitations on leylanddi hedges which vary according to whether the house id council owned or privately owed . But basically those hedges are severly restricted by law
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

Janeymiddlewife

plants for border
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 20:07 »
Thanks all - got some ideas to think about now, will check out councils site, celtic eagle, ideally want to avoid court/council action as you have to declare that sort of stuff if you move house :cry:  Don't mind an 8 foot hedge, which is what I told him, but just can't believe he's left them as they are! Mind you - he did take a month to get round to doing anything when they fell down, but if they're still up in September I'll try the council

Janeymiddlewife

plants for border
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 20:30 »
won't be going to council - Wokingham District council is the 2nd highest charge in country wanting - get this - £600 to investigate a claim, with no refund whether you win or lose - speechless - perhaps I'll move house instead - would almost be cheaper :evil:

gobs

plants for border
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 21:24 »
Well, it's just came to me - tidying border - today what else settled with ease there apart from Jasmine and winter jasmine, it's dogwood and Viburnum.

xx
Plants for a shady border

Started by Yana on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post April 28, 2013, 03:53
by Madame Cholet
xx
Plants for the tropical border

Started by Totty on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post July 02, 2013, 21:12
by Totty
xx
Shady border plants...recommendations please...

Started by Parsnip on General Gardening

14 Replies
Last post May 26, 2009, 23:04
by Celery
xx
Shaded border

Started by Eblana on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post April 16, 2013, 13:02
by Silkychicks

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 38 queries.