does anyone soak or chit early peas before planting?

• 18 Replies

madcat

I always chit runner beans before planting in their trench, but was blithely going to put my first ever lot of early peas (Meteor) in as they come out the packet.  Then I had a thought.... ???  There is nothing in John's books about chitting them or soaking before planting but I wondered ...  :unsure:

We are in a bit of a frost pocket so I have left them towards the end of the planting season to give them a good chance of getting away, but they really could do with going in this weekend.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: does anyone soak or chit early peas before planting?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 08:51 »
To answer the question. No.

What do you mean you've left it towards the end of the planting season? Another couple of weeks before my main lot go in. I've only sown one pea so far.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 08:56 »
I am with DD here. I dig a very shallow trench, line it with compost sow on top then back fill to cover the peas by about 2 inch, water and wait.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

madcat

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 08:58 »
Good.  That means I can get on!   :)

Meteor are supposed to be very hardy first earlies ....  which - given we still had snow on the allotment this time last year - I thought might cope when I placed the seed order in October.  Much warmer this year but still a clear fortnight behind cheshire which is 100 miles or so further north!

What have you sown?

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 09:00 »
Don't think Aidy's actually said he's sown anything.

I've sown one pea of "Kent Blue".

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 09:02 »
Last year my saved sugarsnap peas either didn't come up or got nobbled before I'd even seen them, so I did chit them (for a couple of days, just until I saw the very first signs of shooting.)

Pretty much 100% of them did, so I then just chucked them in as I would have done without chitting - good results but we're talking about a 10' foot row here, not planting football pitches like wot DD does!  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Mrs Bee

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 19:36 »
I don't soak them but I do pop them into  bag of moist compost seal it and put it in a warm place until the start to shoot then I plant them. Also do some like this and pop them into paper pots and keep them in the garage until they start to grow then plant them to try to get some early peas.

LilacSandy

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 19:40 »
Sorry DD, but why one solitary pea?

LilacSandy

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 20:57 »
Thanks Mum, that explains it.  DD 1 pea?? thought I was seeing things  :lol:

multitaskinmamma

• in the begining..there was concrete .... tonnnes..
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 21:56 »
I don't soak them but I do pop them into  bag of moist compost seal it and put it in a warm place until the start to shoot then I plant them. Also do some like this and pop them into paper pots and keep them in the garage until they start to grow then plant them to try to get some early peas.
like this idea , gonna give it a try myself.. thanks for inspiration .

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 22:36 »
I just dig a big 32' ditch, (well about 8 of them planned this year), chuck them in and leave them to their own devices, apart from protecting them.

Can't be doing with all this faffing about, (apart from my tenderly nurtured solitary pea)!  :lol:

Mrs Bee

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 09:32 »
I just dig a big 32' ditch, (well about 8 of them planned this year), chuck them in and leave them to their own devices, apart from protecting them.

Can't be doing with all this faffing about, (apart from my tenderly nurtured solitary pea)!  :lol:

As we are quite new to the allotment lark I have been following Terry Walton in the Garden News.

A friend on the lotty says the same about the faffing, seems to break all the rules and has brilliant crops. BUt following Terry has helped us to get some success while we learn and get experience. Also helped us to get some early crops. Also follow his tips to get some early beetroot too.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 09:34 »
So, if your friend has brilliant crops from his method that you can see for your own eyes, why don't you follow him?

Trillium

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 15:48 »
Like DD, I normally just sow mine into the prepared trench, but the last 3 years, something has been stealing the lot  >:(

This year, I plan to soak all my peas for 24 hours, then dust them in some pea/bean innoculant, plant them and immediately cover with some tangled netting. I tried row covers but still lost them all so obviously the tangled netting is a real deterrent for the thief. I also won't have to plant 3 times before the crop comes up and I have to wait that much longer for peas.

I personally wouldn't bother to chit them as those fragile roots are easily snapped off when covered with soil.

xx
Sweetcorn - to chit, soak or plant, that is the question.

Started by madcat on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 05, 2016, 14:44
by madcat
xx
best way to pre chit peas ?

Started by barley on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 27, 2014, 18:47
by Totty
xx
Garlic......"to soak or not to soak"...That is my question???

Started by GreenDavie on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post October 15, 2009, 09:52
by Salmo
xx
Early Peas

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 24, 2009, 23:57
by peapod

Page created in 0.329 seconds with 36 queries.