Disheartened

• 18 Replies

alimilly

• Life and Love of the Millys
Disheartened
« on: March 05, 2012, 13:49 »
I have had my half plot since May last year,  it is now all completed cleared, dug over, beds laid out and  and  planted in some places.   A month ago the adjoining 1/2 plot to mine became available and I took it.  (There are lots of vacant plots on this site with no waiting list).

Now the problem - between the 2 plots was a very overgrown (brambles) and weedy section.   I have cleared and dug the section on the original plot and have now started on the new plot,   the plan was to open this to one big bed and plant with onions, potatoes and space allowing  - some peas.   However this section is horrible - lots of brambles and nettles which I expected, but it is gritty and stoney - I am puzzled as to why this is the only section of the 2 plots is like this.   I can feel the grittiness on my shovel and stones are everywhere the soil really is not great.    I am not sure what to do about this and really need some help and ideas please as I am really disheartened by this.

A couple of pictures which might help!  The troublesome soil is from the grey shed.

the plot on the left is the original plot (600 x 450).jpg

GrowinGrowinGone

• Experienced Member
Re: Disheartened
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 13:57 »
Why not just put raised beds in, if you can't grow into it, grow over it.  That would be my idea in that situation.
This is my Allotment, There are many like it, but this one is mine. Without my Allotment I am nothing, without me, my Allotment is nothing

alimilly

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 14:05 »
It is a thought about raised beds,  but if possible I wanted to avoid them.  Although I am doing my best to dig out the bramble roots, realistically I know I won't get them all and from experience they are hard to remove from a raised bed.   Also filling the raised bed to make it 'raised' is a challenge in itself.  I was hoping for another solution if at all possible?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 14:06 »
Perhaps the stones were chucked there from the plots on either side when they were being prepared for growing?

As long as there is a reasonable depth of topsoil and they are stones rather than rocks I wouldn't think it's that much of a problem other than for root crops - the soil should be OK for most things after the usual improvements.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

alimilly

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 14:29 »
Thanks JayG,  that does make me feel a little better.   :)

I am removing as many stones as possible - it is the gravelly stuff that is worrying me and it is odd that it is just in this one place.  There is top soil, albeit gritty! - so is that lots of compost and well rotted manure mixed in and then planting and see what happens?

Debz

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 14:37 »
You were maybe just really lucky with the first plot that you got.  Maybe the soil on that side once was gravelly too and the previous owner added a lot of good stuff over the years.  If that is the case then you know what a good plot and soil can look like and just take your time to bring your new side up to the same quality as your first side.  Add some organic material and plant your potatoes on the poorer soil side so you are constantly earthing them up and disturbing the roots of the brambles and weeds.  Put your more delicate veggies on the side you prepared earlier and most importantly take your time and try to enjoy your plots.  Slow and steady wins the race.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 14:39 »
I would think if it's just a thin layer of gravel - then a good deep dig to distribute the stones through the soil layers would sort things out.

alimilly

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 15:00 »
Unfortunately it isn't a thin layer of gravel it is deep and throughout the layers - I wish it was a thin layer! :(

Debz - that is a good idea about just putting the potatoes on that one side,  I intended to put them across the 2 sides but your suggestion definately makes more sense - thank you!

Slow and steady has definately been the name of the game for me - 'dig a bit, plant a bit' - has been my mantra.  At the moment though it is 'dig a lot'!

One of the bramble roots I dug out today and that is my full size spade next to it!
Bramble root 2.jpg

savbo

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 16:53 »
Perhaps the stones were chucked there from the plots on either side when they were being prepared for growing?

I must admit to doing this along one of my boundaries...it's a fence and my thinking has been that a stony trench is easier to keep weed free than a lush fertile one... so I hope no-one ever tries to take down that boundary!

Thrift

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 17:12 »
I wonder is there a reason for so many vacant plots with no waiting list. Have you enquired of other plotters about their soil quality?

alimilly

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 17:37 »
The site is very isolated and out of the way - it would seem that not many people know the site exists.   It also doesn't help that our local council's website states that the waiting list for this area is closed currently!    There are many plot holders who have had their plots 20 or more years with no problems.  The soil on my original plot is good, I have also starting digging a couple of the exisiting beds on the new plot and the soil on these is good too.

It is just this one section of about 2.5m x 8m which is the troublesome one - I am beginning to wonder if this section has ever been worked and has always been a boundary of sorts.   It is also very odd that the section I have already cleared and directly next to this was weedy and rooty but not this horrid gravel.

I do feel happier now though that I can still use it,  I was beginning to doubt its usefulness .

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 19:11 »
If you have an OB (or OG!) on the site he or she might shed some light on why that patch is so different (maybe someone ordered a load of gravel years ago thinking it might improve the soil but was advised otherwise and just left it there!  :unsure:)

Plenty of "good stuff" doesn't cure absolutely everything but it certainly helps turn most difficult soils into something much more useable.  :)

ESguy

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 19:53 »
I wouldn't advise growing potatoes on it as they'll probably get scab badly. I'd probably try and remove some of it perhaps gradually, and introduce some fresh soil. Either from the other plots if the topsoil on them is deep enough, or import some from elsewhere. In the meantime try growing a few various things and see how they do. You could always dig a trench out and fill it with better soil and try runner beans or something.

Riverbecameroad

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 21:25 »
That really is a major league bramble root   WOW!
 :ohmy:

snowdrops

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 21:26 »
Could you make a large riddle on legs & get some more out or what about growing permanent crops there fruit bushes for instance or rhubarb,as long as you put plenty of manure in they should be ok.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

xx
Getting disheartened

Started by Sharonx on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post May 21, 2009, 14:34
by DD.
xx
Disheartened....

Started by shay on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post March 31, 2012, 08:14
by Swing Swang
xx
Disheartened

Started by chillimummy on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post August 18, 2020, 20:09
by chillimummy
xx
Disheartened with plot

Started by Hevski on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 07, 2022, 18:26
by Clactonite

Page created in 0.327 seconds with 37 queries.