What CAN'T I grow on an allotment

• 18 Replies

chriscross1966

• Experienced Member
Re: What CAN'T I grow on an allotment
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2011, 13:42 »
I personally would be out late at night with a can of SBK and a big syringe if anyone planted a fir on the site I'm on, but I realise that other people feel that I'm a bit too "live-and-let-live"/wishy-washy about it....  ditto inedible hedging....

It's for growing veg, I'll just about allow for cut flowers and marigolds for their ability to pull in insect predators....  Stick in some English fruit bushes by all means, no-one will complain about perennials like rhubarb and asparagus, .....but not blueberries (I file them under fir trees, but as our grown is alkaline they don't grow on my site.... hooray)

250sqm.... 10 poles.... if you've got a family you should be able to grow enough proper veg that they get to eat something fresh nearly every day and for six months of the year it'll be pretty much all the veg they eat...

It's normally against the rules on every site I've ever heard of to sell surplus produce... swap it with plot neighbours adn get used to people running away when they see you with a bag of courgettes....

Farmer Woosnip

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2011, 00:32 »
Where I live there is a 3 year waiting list for a plot.

To define a 'general case' we could say that there are thousands of people in the country waiting several years for an opportunity to have a little tiny bit of land to grow some veg on.

You're very lucky.

If you're even thinking about growing trees or anything else for some kind of pseudo commercial gain then you don't deserve that plot you were lucky enough to be given.

If you have to ask these questions then your intentions aren't in the right place.

I'd also be fairly suspicious of your choice of name "impreza" which to most people represents an unnecessary fossil fuel guzzling heap of status symbol junk.

dugless

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2011, 07:03 »
This is generaly a  friendly site but with that user name and choice of subject

it  is not surprising the quality of some of the  answers  were a little caustic ::) ::)   
Time is more precious than Gold
Spend it Wisely

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2011, 07:06 »
Some of the replies are now bordering on the abusive.

The OP has his answer and I am now locking the thread.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Page created in 0.431 seconds with 34 queries.