Pea growing

• 18 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Pea growing
« on: May 16, 2011, 17:13 »
First of all, hello. I'm not brand new to vegetable growing but have a new problem that I've never encountered before. Something, I suspect mice or voles, has individually dug up every pea I've sown in two thirty feet rows. This is the second sowing of peas that has gone this way.

After the first attack I followed traditional advice and pre-soaked the seed in paraffin. All to no avail as when I checked just now, every inch along both rows the white tap-roots of the peas and the green shoots are lying on top of the bed, the peas are devoured.

Is there anything more effective than paraffin? I'm reluctant to start using poison

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Pea growing
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 17:16 »
On my plot it's birds that do that :mad:
I put over, loosely, a strip of netting until they are well up, and then remove it as they are safe by then :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 17:24 »
I tightly net mine. They are covered with debris netting raised about 6" and pegged down all around. This seems to stop the birds AND the rodents.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 17:31 »
You know mumofstig and DD, I'm starting to wonder if it might be birds after all. What made me think it was mice was the fact that they were destroyed almost before the shoots were showing above soil. I'll try one last sowing and cover with netting. Thanks to you both

Alan

MichelleC

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 19:24 »
Hi there, I planted my peas in both roottrainers and toilet roll tubes and started them off in the greenhouse. All germinated and then delayed planted until they were a good size. I planted them along sweet pea netting as well. I do hear that mice can get into the greenhouse so I always place the newly soon on the top shelf of the staging. Be cafeful with the heat once they're an couple of inches tall as they can mature too soon. Pop them outside to grow a little more and harden off before planting. Cover with netting if you feel it's necessary. I didn't and nothing attacked them. However the very hot weather and not enough water matured mine too soon. I've already got another batch growing.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 19:26 »
Can't be doing with messing about.

I've just sown 216 feet of peas - straight in.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 19:32 »
do you net yours against the moth DD, or just against pigeons.

I've only grown early peas before and the RHS says they usually avoid the moth.....
(I'm sure I would have tasted them if they were in there  :blink: )

MoreWhisky

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 19:43 »
I grow earlies and just net against the pigeons. Ive never had a moth in them when they are ready, but the ones i leave on for next yrs seeds have a few  moths in. So i totally agree with RHS.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 16:49 »
Try starting them in sections of roof cuttering, about 4ft long, then just slide them off the end into the final postion.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 16:51 »
do you net yours against the moth DD, or just against pigeons.

I've only grown early peas before and the RHS says they usually avoid the moth.....
(I'm sure I would have tasted them if they were in there  :blink: )

I usually plant earlier than this to avoid the moth, but no way can I net/fleece the area of peas I've got. Afraid it's fingers crossed this year, or a precautionary spray at flower time.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 16:53 »
Try starting them in sections of roof cuttering, about 4ft long, then just slide them off the end into the final postion.

Taking into account the peas at home, I'd need over 60 lengths.

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 17:01 »

Taking into account the peas at home, I'd need over 60 lengths.

Didn't think you were having the proplem!

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 17:18 »
The OP would still need 15 lengths.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2011, 17:53 »
Well, I've now convinced myself it's pigeons not mice since my wife spotted a couple on the seed-bed so I've re-sown and covered with lengths of of chicken netting which are actually a couple of inches above the soil due to distortion after being in  rolls. As one of the posters said, I'd need too much guttering to plant the amount I like to sow

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2011, 15:05 »
And here we are one and a half weeks on and it's happened again. Thirty foot row of peas with neat 2cm holes all the way along it like a perforation, despite wire-netting covering. Can only be mice

xx
Anyone tried growing

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 16, 2012, 17:04
by Beetroot queen
xx
wow...its all growing ......

Started by topsy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 09, 2009, 21:06
by Trillium
xx
Hi I'm very new to growing my own veg

Started by k8e on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 11, 2010, 21:42
by oldcow
clip
What am I growing?

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 19, 2017, 16:42
by Aidy

Page created in 0.412 seconds with 37 queries.