Do I have to do anything to rhubarb?

• 18 Replies

hamstergbert

Re: Do I have to do anything to rhubarb?
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2010, 12:07 »
Ah but, ah, but, ah but....

When all the leaves are brown, heave them off and compost then as already suggested feed with well rotted hossmuck.  Mark the edges with stick etc.  IN February mount an upside down black plastic dustbin or similar over it and peg down.  Check occasionally and water when you feel you must and wait until the forced rhubarb is scratching against the top of the bin, every stem flawless pink and with a taste to die for.....   After harvesting almost all the forced stems leave the plant uncovered   and in a week or so it will spring into the usual thuggish life.

Then wander round the supermarkets and see what they charge for a pathetic stick or two of forced rhubarb that is nowhere near as nice as yours and chuckle all the way home.
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

evie2

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2010, 12:42 »
We love rhubarb and have relied on in laws for our supply; killed off ours years ago :( however thanks to son going mad a few months back we now have rather a lot of little plant-lets which I'm having as little to do with as possible :lol: :lol: :lol:
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2010, 12:46 »
Ah but, ah, but, ah but....

When all the leaves are brown, heave them off and compost then as already suggested feed with well rotted hossmuck.  Mark the edges with stick etc.  IN February mount an upside down black plastic dustbin or similar over it and peg down.  Check occasionally and water when you feel you must and wait until the forced rhubarb is scratching against the top of the bin, every stem flawless pink and with a taste to die for.....   After harvesting almost all the forced stems leave the plant uncovered   and in a week or so it will spring into the usual thuggish life.

Then wander round the supermarkets and see what they charge for a pathetic stick or two of forced rhubarb that is nowhere near as nice as yours and chuckle all the way home.

I thought that if you forced rhubarb it weakened the plant, so that you get a reduced crop later in the year. Is that not true?

hamstergbert

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2010, 14:14 »
I heard that too, all I can say is that we lightly crop it initially and let it recover before getting into full swing plus largely let it rest second half of August onwards with a bit of a feed to get some strength back into the crown.  Possibly blind luck but we seem to get away with it year on year.  (We have now however increased the number of locations around the garden with rhubarb growing so should be even less of a risk in future years!)

xx
rhubarb,,can you get orange rhubarb

Started by jolly jen on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 03, 2008, 14:17
by jolly jen
xx
Rhubarb,what next

Started by beansticks on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 18, 2010, 20:36
by pod
xx
Rhubarb

Started by Moosey on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 14, 2009, 08:54
by matron
xx
when is rhubarb too old?

Started by borderowl on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 18, 2013, 20:13
by borderowl

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 34 queries.