Do I have to do anything to rhubarb?

• 18 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Do I have to do anything to rhubarb?
« on: September 16, 2010, 23:40 »
I planted a rhubarb last year, didn't take anything from it this year, and it seems healthy enough. However, in the last week or so the leaves are all kind of lying down and going limp. Is this normal for the time of year? I've never grown rhubarb before, so wasn't sure. And do I need to do anything for winter, i.e. remove older leaves, anything like that?

Paul Plots

Re: Do I have to do anything to rhubarb?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 23:49 »
I'm sure someone will have some things you really should do to rhubarb in preparation for winter....

Personally I just moslty ignore mine but that doesn't stop it coming up each spring... nothing much will it seems. I've attempted to dig it up a couple of times and up it comes again.  ::)  :lol:

Some people (bhubarh fanatics) cover the crown in order to encourage it to make early tender spring growth..

Leaves turning floppy and brown = normal for tis time of year (I think!)

Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 02:43 »
I just leave mine to it and in the spring I pick away the dead leaves so the new growth can start again. Simples. This year I might add a bit of rotted manure close to the base as the new spot is terrible clay.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 03:54 »
Like Learner I ignore it.

I've also tried several times to get rid of one of my clumps and failed.  I refuse to use my horse muck on it as I think that will only encourage it.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Fisherman

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 06:41 »
Let it die off, remove the leaves and compost them and then feed it in spring with a covering of manure when it starts growing.

kevinp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 06:46 »
Mine is still growing new leaves, I noticed one at the base of the plant yesterday it was only planted this year, about six weeks ago.
Is this still to be expected at this time of year, I have never had a rhubarb plant before :)

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 08:51 »
yep mine is still producing stalks as well its feeding itself i suppose roll on next year for more crumble mind you i have a loadf frozen lol

evie2

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 09:39 »
Am I the only person who has killed off rhubarb, mint and lavender  :blush:
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

nipper31

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 11:32 »
When is the right time to move rhubarb?

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 13:06 »
Am I the only person who has killed off rhubarb, mint and lavender  :blush:

Definitely not :) The reason I planted new rhubarb last year was because the last one died. And I've lost count of the number of times I've planted lavender in a particular bed, where I've set my heart on a row of lavender. Every single time they just curl up their toes and die. No idea why. Wet clay soil in winter, maybe? But you've got me on mint. That stuff is all over my garden, mostly with its roots under paths and concrete.

noshed

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 15:54 »
Rhubarb will be starting to die back now, so limpness is perfectly normal, in this case. Pick off the dead leaves in the winter, remove any weeds and give it a good mulch with manure/compost. I did this last year and I got a masive crop this year.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 20:46 »
When is the right time to move rhubarb?

Winter  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Paul Plots

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 23:45 »
Mine is still growing new leaves, I noticed one at the base of the plant yesterday it was only planted this year, about six weeks ago.
Is this still to be expected at this time of year, I have never had a rhubarb plant before :)

You're never be without one again!!  :lol:

Trillium

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2010, 03:32 »
Lavender likes it dry so plant it in a raised mound and mulch it with small gravel bits to keep water from splashing onto the plants. Never water with hose or can as it just doesn't like water.

Mint is a thug so try planting it in a buried pot but not to the pot lip. It's also another dry lover like lavender.

And rhubarb - well, it's determined to grow but doesn't want to be planted too deep, just a few inches, no more and water the first year, stop after that.

veggieman

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2010, 09:03 »
I similarly leave the unused stalks on my rhubarb to just die back as I think, perhaps wrongly, that it returns rhubarb to the plant.

All comments of being unhappy with the plants seems a bit odd to me. We have had some lovely rhunarb and custard and my wife has also made rhubarb wine and some delicious rhubarb and ginger jam. It is a delicious crop, although I accept not to everyone's taste, that requires very little maintenance.
If I can grow things in Shetland, then you can certainly grow things where you are!

xx
rhubarb,,can you get orange rhubarb

Started by jolly jen on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 03, 2008, 14:17
by jolly jen
xx
Rhubarb

Started by Amberangel on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 23, 2011, 14:11
by Amberangel
xx
rhubarb

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 25, 2015, 20:19
by snowdrops
xx
rhubarb

Started by evie2 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 20, 2010, 16:50
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.636 seconds with 34 queries.