hi I am new to this and need help!!

• 18 Replies

toseland

hi I am new to this and need help!!
« on: May 02, 2010, 02:13 »
Please can some one tell me why over the last 2 years all my carrots, beetroot and parsnips have not been successful! They start to grow and some thing is eating the new shoots, no evidence of slugs, do you think it would be mice? How do I stop this! Thanks, Liz

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: hi I am new to this and need help!!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 08:19 »
Hi toseland, and welcome to the site :)
I'm moving your post over to 'Grow your own'  :)

Would you please alter your profile to show your location, it does sometimes make a difference to the answers.

paintedlady

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 19:12 »
it is most likely to be slugs or snails toseland  ;)  They really do enjoy eating all our newly germinated seedlings and leave the weeds alone, and don't always leave tell tale trails either, especially slugs that hide in the soil.
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

DavidT

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 21:37 »
The member who said slugs are your problem could well be right, however I have to say i ve never had much trouble with them eating parsnip etc foliage,parsnips in particular, are not usually prone to any pests,what i would do is buy ant killer in a puffer pack ,you can get them at your local £1 shop,although its meant to be used indoors just for ants,I find its effective puffed on vegetables on the allotment,it stops loads of pests nibbling at your newly emerged seedlings,just stand down wind of it when you apply,as you dont want it blowing in your face

That is pretty irresponsible, if you don`t mind me saying. Do you know what chemicals you are eating by misusing this product? A product designed to kill ants indoors, is not meant to be used as a general pesticide on food crops.

zazen999

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 21:41 »
deleted as had quoted the post in question.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 07:32 by zazen999 »

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 21:42 »
I'm going to agree with DavidT again. :ohmy:  This site can't condone the use of any chemicals except for those they are intended. 
Cheese makes everything better.

zazen999

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 21:44 »
Hi Ice.

Would it not be worth deleting that post - so that nobody else sees it and thinks it's a good idea....?

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 21:48 »
Could do but most people on here I would hope wouldn't attempt this.  I'll see how it goes. ;)

zazen999

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 21:55 »
I was thinking more about the newbies......who want a quick fix for everything...

DavidT

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 22:00 »
 If they read the thread properly, they will see the problems with misusing pesticides. Newbies want to learn, that includes using products correctly.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 22:01 »
Your wish is my command. 8)

jondav

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 20:03 »
  Oh I suppose all those overpriced sprays that come in fancy containers,that say they re just the job are safe! are they.If ant killer is so bad we shouldnt be using around the house,where kids and pets come into contact with it.I dare say the commercial grower uses things much more harmful than ant killer,on the crops he sells to us,in the cause of fairness you should print this reply,and let people make their own minds up

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 20:13 »
  Oh I suppose all those overpriced sprays that come in fancy containers,that say they re just the job are safe! are they.If ant killer is so bad we shouldnt be using around the house,where kids and pets come into contact with it.I dare say the commercial grower uses things much more harmful than ant killer,on the crops he sells to us,in the cause of fairness you should print this reply,and let people make their own minds up
You seem to want an argument.  On a public forum like ours we cannot be seen to condone the mis-use of any chemicals whether effective of not.  In the privacy of your own home you can use agent orange as far as I care.

You are not the first to raise this issue, it has been done ad infinitum.  The end.

DavidT

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 20:56 »

The important thing to remember is, the commercial grower uses products allowed BY LAW for use on his or her crops. They do not take household pesticides and use them on  edible crops. YOU are poisoning your children by this reckless action, no one else.

digalotty

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 21:30 »
i wont risk it, i dont see the point when there are products out there designed for he job,
my family mean the world to me and seeds are cheap
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 30 queries.