horse manure

• 11 Replies

rowlandwells

horse manure
« on: September 06, 2012, 21:35 »
 i have been trying to find out more about using horse manure on the Lottie as there is obviously the fores and against for using horse dung by gardeners

because i have a regular supply of horse dung i  spread several  tonnes on the Lottie at the end of last year and some in the spring thinking this would put some life back in the ground but there seems to be mixed views on using horse dung i have been advised to stack the dung in a heap  for two years before using it

recently i have  been collecting sawdust with the dung and mixing it into the heap but i don't know if the two mixed together are compatible for the Lottie i know chicken manure  has nitrogen values but what values are with horse dung i must admit i am lost

i know this  growing season was a disaster for me because or ground was so wet but it also seemed that the dung had not rotted as it should have done as far as i know the hay fed to the horses is not weed tree-ted and the sawdust is plane sawdust spread on the stable floor at night

so any if anyone out there could give me some information on this topic it would be most appreciated

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
Re: horse manure
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 22:07 »
I know it needs to be well-rotted as the acids in it will burn plants so the manure you get this autumn would probably be better 12 months later but then it comes down to storage.
I've been saving all our chicken poo/wood shavings/straw in my compost bins which is rotting nicely now.
Only ordered horse manure the first autumn I was on the lottie and they dumped it all over my beds rather than where I had made a space for it,so didn't bother again! ::)

lazza

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 15:11 »
I had also wondered about Nitrogen (and full NPK) values of "natural" fertilisers a while back and found some info on the main allotment.org site:

http://www.allotment-garden.org/grow-your-own/fertiliser/npk-values-of-manures

So for standard animal manures, the NPK values are really quite low.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 17:20 »
yes, but the value of manure is that it really raises the humus content and so improves the soil considerably :) It seems to be a magic ingredient on poor soils.

There's nothing to stop you adding other (preferably organic) fertiliser to the soil as well - if you think it needs it ;)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 18:49 »
The lecturer on my C&G gardening course always said that manure is a soil improver - it improves the structure of the soil - rather than a fertiliser.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 08:14 »
manure does improve the structure of the soil , as you have straw etc in it then the mix will not give you a instant nitrogen fix . I find horse manure full of weed seeds as well . either rot it down well . bury it deep in the soil ie dig a pit and the put 1ft soil on top and grow on that or spread it out and  use as a mulch and let the birds take the seeds .
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

Turnba

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 10:13 »
Ok, that's interesting. I was wondering when in the year to use manure - I knew it has to rot down but didn't want to give it so long that any benefits would get washed away.

I have some on the plot that I took over last October. Well, I'm told it's horse manure. It's in a not-so-dark corner half covered in plastic and it's virtually petrified. It's actually difficult to break it up, it's so hard. Is it any good to use like this?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 11:36 »
give it a really good soaking, or leave it for the weather to do the job in the next few months - it should then be ok to use ;)

rowlandwells

HORSE MANURE BIG THANKS
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 21:13 »

many thanks to those who replied to my question on horse manure for some reason i have lost the topic  :(

but i have read your repies that have given me good sound advise as i was a bit concerned about using horse dung on the Lottie but the general consensus of opinion is that its good to use with sawdust provided its left to stand and rot down for at least twelve months  :D

i think i did wrong by putting the fresh dung on the Lottie without stacking it for the surges ted period of time i have put my first load of dung in a compound Ive made to hold the dung till it ready to use  :ohmy:

i also found it very interesting to read the information on site regarding horse manure that you advised i do :)

once again many thanks for taking the trouble to reply on this topic very much appreciated :happy:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 21:16 »
It was easy enough to find by looking at your previous posts!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

chriscross1966

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 13:31 »
THe real problem with horse manure isn't anything to do with the manure itself, it can be applied fresh if you want, it's nothing like as "strong" as cow or pig in that regard, it's lying gits of farmers selling hay contaminated with aminopyralid. THe hay agents (who might well be in on it) then sell the hay onto unknowing equestrianists, and suddenly what should be one of the best soil improvers out there is damaging potato, tomato and bean crops.... I've had massive problems the last two years with it, I've coped by planting extra spuds and moving the beans to my home plot (which isn't big enough for all the beans I grow. The stuff sticks in the soil for a couple of years in bad cases too... Doesn't seem to affect brassicas or cucurbits much (I've got 80-100lb pumpkins on a pile I know to be probably contaminated. THe best thing to do is to pile it up and take a sample and do a bean test.... hatch a dozen broad bean seeds and plant half out in pots with just plain soil and half with a 50/50 mix of soil and manure... the weird feathery growth if there's contamination is very obvous... trouble is you have to test each batch you take as it only takes one bad bale of hay to contaminate a few tons of manure....

Last year I lost 80%+ of my beans, all my outdoor tomatoes and about 50% of my potato crop (estimated against what I thought I should get) , this year I've lost about 30% of the spuds, and I can only grow about a third of the beans at home that I can on the alloment.... I try to keep on top of bean tests, but sometimes you jsut run out of time.... that said if I can get through another year, the massive improvemetn in soil structure will be in place and I can be a bit more fussy, my soil needs about a foot of manure on it and the only sane way of doing it is to put it on the spud bed, rtor it in and then backfill and earth up with more of it during the season..... end result is great soil but reduced spud harvests.....

rowlandwells

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 21:05 »
thanks DD how reassuring your comments are your a wealth of knowledge why didn't i think of that in the first place when my PC was playing up  :D

chriscross1996
i really thought that was the problem was aminopyralid but the lady who i get my dung from only uses farm hay from a local farmer who does not spray although i had a fair crop of broad beans and beetroot of the Lottie i believe the wet conditions contributed to most things just not growing

we all suffered down the Lottie this season and ime afraid it has put the new holders off they have just simply given up

your reply made good reading and i will note what you've said if i change suppliers in the future
many thanks RW

xx
How good is Pig Manure mixed with Horse Manure?

Started by MichelleC on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 05, 2011, 17:50
by MichelleC
xx
Green manure or horse manure?

Started by yorkiegal on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 10, 2012, 01:12
by Trillium
xx
how to rot down horse manure....

Started by Carollan on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 22, 2011, 23:54
by Carollan
xx
cow vs horse manure

Started by dmg on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 06, 2013, 12:16
by BabbyAnn

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 35 queries.