General Fertiliser Ratios query

• 5 Replies

Hesse2509

• Experienced Member
General Fertiliser Ratios query
« on: January 14, 2012, 21:28 »
From the research I have managed under my own steam so far I get that fertilisers are rated by the percentage of Nitrogen (N), Phosphorus (P) and Potassium (K) that they contain. I also understand that the most commonly used used general fertiliser Growmore has a 7-7-7 ratio.

Working on the basis as a noobie of 'more is better'; and I'm guessing this a stupid question, but is a fertiliser with 20-20-20 ratio better?  :blush:

I'm looking for a good general all-round fertiliser to put on my beds before sowing or planting out, and unfortunately Chicken manure, blood and bone and bonemeal are out of the equation due to local urban foxes; so I'm considering Growmore as a good alternative (well it's been working since WWII so it must be good!?). But the question is is there something better; including 20-20-20?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: General Fertiliser Ratios query
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 21:42 »
1. There are no stupid questions on this site  :D

2. I have no idea so am quite glad you asked!

I know that generally it's the ratio you're interested in, but as for the actual numbers where ratios are identical, I don't know.

Hopefully someone will know!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 21:43 »
You're dead right - the figures are the percentage of each key element by weight, so 20-20-20 is the same ratio as 7-7-7 except that its nearly 3 times more concentrated so you only need to use a third as much to get the same effect.

Not that many choices for the domestic gardener though, but there's nothing wrong with Growmore as a general fertiliser unless you want to grow completely organically (or need a special fertiliser for special circumstances.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Hesse2509

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 21:48 »
You're dead right - the figures are the percentage of each key element by weight, so 20-20-20 is the same ratio as 7-7-7 except that its nearly 3 times more concentrated so you only need to use a third as much to get the same effect.

Not that many choices for the domestic gardener though, but there's nothing wrong with Growmore as a general fertiliser unless you want to grow completely organically (or need a special fertiliser for special circumstances.)

So if I use the same amount will it do more harm than good?

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 21:52 »
Hesse - follow the instructions as plants can only take in what they need and no more.. the rest could and will be leached out to a certain extent and lost..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 21:56 »
So if I use the same amount will it do more harm than good?

Yes...........Growmore was designed to be the correct strength for most uses. if you use a higher ratio one it is difficult to apply at the correct rate, as the dose would be such a small quantity.

xx
Which general fertiliser is best

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 05, 2010, 18:20
by craggy
xx
Raking in general fertiliser

Started by zestymordant on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 19, 2012, 20:52
by zestymordant
xx
Mouldy Fertiliser query

Started by DaveF68 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 06, 2018, 11:21
by sunshineband
xx
NPK ratios

Started by dalemellor on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 26, 2012, 13:24
by viettaclark

Page created in 0.301 seconds with 36 queries.