Disappointed after reading thread re: Not growing main crop potatoes

• 32 Replies

Judd

• Experienced Member
I thought the point of growing your own potatoes was that they had better flavour than shop bought.
I've never grown anything before and was looking forward to growing and eating my own potatoes.I've found all the varieties available to buy are lacking in flavour and after reading this thread where experienced gardeners are not bothering to grow them because they are cheap enough to buy,I don't know whether I should bother :(
Will they taste any better?
I had some given from a fellow plot holder and they actually had flavour and were superb,so much better than any I've ever bought!
It's better to burn out than to fade away !!     ;)

plum crumble

hang on my dear! I said I wouldn't grow maincrop. I will be growing 2 types of first and second earlies though. And I will also be growing runners, broad beans, french beans, 3 varieties of toms, 2 of cucs, 2 of courgettes, 3 of lettuce, spring onions, 2 of beetroot, 5 of chillies, 2 of peppers, 2 of broccoli, 2 of cauliflower, 4 of cabbage, parsnips, carrots, 2 varieties plums, apples, cherries, raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, gooseberries, about 10 different herbs...............oh yes, peas (how could I forget) ETC!

so I am very much into growing my own. It is simply a question of space.................when I can choose to grow all the above!!!!
small, Welsh and almost certainly bonkers, but can be tamed with Talisker, if required

plum crumble

ooops, how could I forget the garlic and shallots and 3 types of onions as well............. :nowink:

Ice

• muck spreader
It's not a matter of buying more cheaply it's more to do with prioritising available space.  If I had the space I would grow them without question.  If you have the space then you should definately grow them.

I will, of course, be growing first and second earlies. :)
Cheese makes everything better.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Some areas are well supplied wiht farm shops that sell locally grown organic potatoes -- not here  :(

I grow maincrop potatoes to keep us supplied all winter (assuming the blight does not strike too hard) and am lucky enough to have enough space to fit these in
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

clairebeau

• Experienced Member
    • My Blog. Brambly Corner.
I'm new to having an allotment and I've made the choice that I'm not growing a main crop either.  Yes it's definitely a space issue but we want a quicker harvest with this being our first year, plus the fact I don't have space to store sacks full of the beggers.

Guess it's all about what each individual likes really. With main crop I'm more interested in the 'proper' gravy that's poured over them if I'm honest hee hee!  :D
Claire. x

"Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker!" - Ogden Nash

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
It's a question of balance, as has been stated.

If you don't have the space, something has to give. If you're basing it financially, then you start by culling the cheapest crop to buy. (Peas would be near the top as well  :ohmy: )

I will be growing them, but I'm fortune in having about 800 sq yds to play with, others don't.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

lightyears

ive always grown maincrop, but never botherd with earliers as i find the results are poor in my area. i would try some though as an fully fledged jacket varitie (cara is mine) unrinates all over supermarket bought types for taste,size and ablity to store

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
we get sacks of Cara from our local farm shop  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

lightyears

nice potatoes? i would buy local but the farm shops around this part of norfolk are onto a good thing and charge silly prices to attracted the libreal tree hugging bregade, who dont care were the food is grow as long as it comes from a shop they can tell there posh freinds about

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
the cara potatoes from round here are very good and cheap but then they do grow lots of potatoes locally  :)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
I didn't grow any spuds last year because we get given a big sackful of locally grown potatoes from a chap down the road 3-4 times a year.  

There is no question that growing your own is best, but like stated earlier, you have to think about space, so I try to concentrate on things that are more expensive to buy in the shops.

Go for it!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
I only have a small plot so can only grow a few rows of earlies and a few for later. I would grow a lot more if I had the space..........there are so many beautiful varieties that you can't buy in the shops :)

Judd

• Experienced Member
*Plum,I didn't mean to criticise you in any way whatsoever or say you were not into growing your own and I apologise if you thought this :(

The point I was trying to make was that if you can buy potatoes as good as home grown cheaply enough,why bother growing them?
I purely want to get my hands on potatoes that have superb taste and have never managed to get this from shop bought,I've got approx 4-500 sq yds growing area and loads of storage room.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 19:35 by Judd »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
then go for it! many of us don't have the space.

Keep trying til you find varieties that will knock your socks off  :D

xx
planting main crop potatoes in same place as finished early crop?

Started by aejonm on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 16, 2021, 11:41
by al78
xx
Main Crop Potatoes

Started by glynwhite on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 26, 2010, 07:46
by Kristen
xx
main crop potatoes

Started by gardening robbo on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 08, 2007, 22:19
by WG.
xx
Main Crop Potatoes

Started by webby139 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 29, 2012, 09:40
by DD.

Page created in 0.324 seconds with 33 queries.