Fig tree

• 3 Replies

Cdb2886

Fig tree
« on: August 20, 2023, 15:01 »
I had a fig tree given to me 4 years ago approx 3 feet high with 4 stems I potted it on and the following year we had a few fruit that developed to eat and a few that were not really ripe or big enough to use I potted it on to a bigger pot and last year and this we have seen no sign of any fruit however the foliage is fine . Is there anything that could be recommended it is fed and has been mulched each year

Learnerlady

• Experienced Member
Re: Fig tree
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2023, 18:08 »
Hi, I'm no expert but figs need their roots containing or they produce a lot of foliage rather than fruit so potting it on may have contributed to this.
We're in the Midlands and when the later fruits start to grow I remove them. The first year when I left them they fell off the following year anyhow
Fingers crossed it fruits next year then leave it until it seems completely root bound.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2023, 17:42 »
Growing tips for figs can be found here:
https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/grow-plants/how-to-grow-figs/

With many of the plants that I have, whether it is a vegetable, flowering plant, etc., when an under-performing  plant seems to be otherwise healthy, the first thing I think of is whether the plant is getting enough sunlight. The link I provided recommends full sun for figs.

Several neighbors of mine have outdoor fig trees, planted in the ground (note: I am in Georgia, USA).  So, they essentially have unlimited root space.  The producing fig trees have full sun.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2023, 20:03 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

wighty

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2023, 19:56 »
Have ours please, bought as a pot  plant from Woolies, years ago, made the mistake of planting it in the main garden, next door don't believe in doing gardening so it has been 'taken over' by their brambles.   Bain of my life now as I cannot keep on top of it.

xx
Small damsel tree and apple tree

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 19, 2022, 11:41
by mdjlucan
xx
Staking a new apple tree (and a new damson tree)

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 30, 2010, 15:12
by Yorkie
xx
Bay tree

Started by littleorchard on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 29, 2010, 13:20
by Livinhope
xx
can you name my tree?

Started by massa on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 03, 2010, 19:06
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.301 seconds with 32 queries.