Unsuccessfull broody hen

• 6 Replies

Liv

Unsuccessfull broody hen
« on: July 14, 2010, 22:39 »
My broody hen Gherti has been sat on her eggs for almost a month now, another hen Mariella who started after her has hatched hers and is now the proud mother of 7 hyper chicks. But nothing is happening, ive listened to the eggs and heard nothing. She's had babies before, and there isnt just her eggs under her. There was 13 and theres now only 5. I keep finding broken shell lying around. I was wondering whether anyone had any ideas as to whats happening with the eggs? And also what I should do next? Ive wondered about putting a couple of Mariellas under her as 7 is a lot of babies! or trying to find some day olds to put under her. Shes put so much effort in I havn't got the heart to take her eggs and leave her babyless. She looks really miserable and I don't know what to do for the best? Help?!  :(

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Unsuccessfull broody hen
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 22:43 »
you could try her with a couple of the other hens chicks or get her some day olds. I successfully got one of my broodies to accept 9 day olds that another mum abandoned. However if she does reject them then what will you do with the chicks? Do you have a brooder and heat lamp?
Staffies are softer than you think.

Liv

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 22:48 »
I havn't got a lamp but my friend does. But I'd rather they had a mum to look after them! How sentimental are chickens? Am I being a bit soft thinking she's depressed and that Mariella in the next house surrounded by babies is making things worse?

joyfull

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 22:51 »
yes it could depress her - try and get her some little ones. I put my 9 in one at a time - she tried to peck the 1st one but I just gave her a little tap on the beak and then within 2 mins it was safely tucked under her, so the rest followed and now she is doing a splendid job with them all  :D

Liv

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 23:02 »
Thats lovely! The other thing is will Mariella then get upset that I've stolen her babies? Is 7 too many? Its not is it? I will try and find her some chicks tomorrow! Ill leave Mariella alone. She's already angry at me for taking her empty eggs.. How long can eggs go with out being sat on and still be babyfull? 

joyfull

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 23:07 »
My mum with the 9 chicks is a silkie cross so she is a banty sized hen and is coping very well, so 7 is not too many at all. I would get just 2 or 3 day olds then introduce 1 at a time and whilst she is sorting that one out remove a couple of eggs with the other hand  :)

Liv

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 23:28 »
I will try that!! Thankyou ever so much!  :happy:

xx
eating fertile eggs from under a broody!! and general broody questions

Started by frenchliving on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 13, 2012, 20:58
by ANHBUC
xx
Sorry ANOTHER broody question (that's BROODY not B*oody)

Started by Fifitrix on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 07, 2009, 10:36
by Fifitrix
xx
how and do ? hybrids (brown hen) go broody how can you get them broody ?

Started by alotment shed on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 22, 2009, 09:13
by too many girls
xx
Broody or not broody that is the question.

Started by Ma Lowe on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 20, 2010, 14:10
by nicky d

Page created in 0.23 seconds with 39 queries.