Mucky bums in POL pullets

• 4 Replies

Casey76

Mucky bums in POL pullets
« on: July 26, 2010, 12:24 »
My pullets have been fantastic this year, and are in the pink of health, not a mucky bum in sight.  Now it seems that as soon as they come into lay they all have dirty knickers.

Could it just be a "side effect" of coming into lay i.e. different use of the "downstairs" muscles.  Will it improve in time?

I have to admit that all of my hens/pullets are more than a bit feral and I can only handle them at night once they are in the coop, so catching them to give them a bath is a bit of a tricky business.

In terms of environment/food etc, nothing has changed over the past few weeks.  There are no sneezes or rattles, no inflamed sinuses amongst any of my birds.  I've never had a cocci outbreak *touch wood*

The current feed available is layers pellets in the main pen, and growers in the two small pens, though to be honest everyone eats what they want to (mainly the growers   :dry: - it seems the higher protein food is more tasty than the lower protein layers) All pellets are available all day.  They also get about 2L of mixed grain (between 15 birds) once a week, and this lasts around 3 days).  Oyster shell and mixed grit available all day in separate feeders to the pellets.

On an afternoon I'll often give them half a melon (when it's hot), or some stale bread (soaked) or some hard boiled egg - but never all together, just one thing (per day) at a time.

Apart from that they are free to range over about 140m2 of the garden, though there is little grass now.  I can't think of anything which is flowering or fruiting which would affect the pullets only as all the hens have access to the same area and they don't have mucky knickers.

Any ideas?

Sue33

Re: Mucky bums in POL pullets
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 13:47 »

could the melon be making their poos a bit runnier than normal ??? i know cucumber has that effect on my girls.........

Casey76

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 13:49 »
It's just a bit puzzling that it is only the pullets which are effected though. 

The hens are OK  :blink:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 14:03 »
probably is because they have just come into lay - hopefully they will soon sort themselves out  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 14:51 »
Most of mine have gone through the mucky bum stage. Etta who is now living with Joy was a really mucky bum girl when she was first coming into lay but now has the most lovely fluffy knickers. Hopefully in a few weeks they will be all fluffy again  :) :)

xx
Mucky Bums?

Started by Nickchick on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post December 06, 2010, 18:38
by Tigerwren
xx
more mucky bums

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 03, 2010, 19:52
by karlooben
xx
Featheless bums

Started by Ma Lowe on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 29, 2010, 10:45
by Ma Lowe
xx
bald bums !!!

Started by sussexchook on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 18, 2012, 11:07
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 40 queries.