when does walking the dog become poaching

• 35 Replies

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: when does walking the dog become poaching
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2010, 11:45 »
Yes, they like to have a job to do! :D
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Trikidiki

« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2011, 00:16 »
My collie is as mad as the rest and runs about 3 times as far as we walk when out in The Forest. I have a GPS and was thinking how to attach it to her to measure how far she actually does go. I bought her a dog 'rucksack' which is like a set of panniers and thought I could put the GPS in there. Unfortunately when I put the rucksack on her she gets all 'important' and just trots along the path in front of me like she has a very important job to do. Bang went that theory.

She loves chasing deer, but announces the fact to all and sundry by yapping while she does it (no stealth approach). The yapping fades into the distance then she arives back about 5 minutes later.

She chases the odd rabbit but has most problems with squirrels as they run off the path into the undergrowth and just disappear. She hasn't learned to look up yet.

I'm sure if she ever did manage to catch something she would lick it to death.

My previous collie had a fixation with our pet rabbits and guinea pigs and would pace up and down or lie for hours beside their runs.

When one of the rabbits died in a burrow in their run she whined and lay down next to the run all day until I puled its body out from the burrow.

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2011, 11:25 »
She chases the odd rabbit but has most problems with squirrels as they run off the path into the undergrowth and just disappear. She hasn't learned to look up yet.

I have a springer x collie and her favourite chases (apart from kids on bikes...!!! >:( ) are also rabbits and squirrels but her gait is hilarious - she does have much of the speed of a collie but it kind of has this weird bounce to it, and its usually the way he runs that gives it away she isnt a real collie (that and her stoopid ears). Anyway, she wouldn't be able to catch anything but she does try. With squirrels she does know they go up but this means she runs from tree to tree in the park, stopping and stretching up each tree with her back legs on the ground and her forepaws on the trunk of the tree, desperately trying to see if she can see them. ::)

She also has a bit of an identity crisis when it come to birds - she flushes them out of bushes and hedges like a spaniel but if there are loads on the ground on the field then she tries to round them up, and always seems to get confused when they disappear into the sky...

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2011, 20:03 »
Don't really matter the way the countries going people will be killing rats to eat soon  :D :D :D :D
The best way to learn to do something is to do something.

operabunny

• Experienced Member
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2011, 11:46 »
Hmmmmm, there are a LOT of really fat woodpigeons about....

elrohana

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2011, 13:41 »
I've a BC/GSD cross who'll chase anything that moves, he's got the stamina and smarts of a shepherd with the chase/herd instinct and speed of a collie.  He's brought me a couple of (completely unharmed) hedgehogs from the undergrowth but he never catches anything he chases as I always call him back if he looks like he's getting close.  Not rural enough to get away with walking home carrying dead beasties.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 39 queries.