Another British Free Range Hen Farmer closing down

• 27 Replies

Rhiannon

• Experienced Member
Re: Another British Free Range Hen Farmer closing down
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 08:51 »
Most of you seem to feed layers pellets but mine wont touch them, we were reccomended something called Garden Blend that has layer pellets in it , to me it wasnt enough protien , about 11% , fine if the hens can get good free range fodder but in the run big as it is they cant .

So i swopped to Course layers meal which they love , and i think thats about 16% ?

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2011, 09:04 »
16% is fine Rhiannon, that's what most layers pellets have in them.  I prefer pellets as its less wastage with messy eaters like chooks, but if yours won't eat them, then the mash is fine.

I've never used garden blend, but have heard it mentioned as not being particularly good protein wise.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2011, 09:06 »
How may sacks of layers do you think my car can hold?

I'm currently paying 16.50 pounds per 25kg of layers!  I think I need to pay a visit to the UK!

lol Casey, you have to think about the weight, but our little van can take almost a tonne of feed which is 50 bags!!!  Shame Brian let his passport lapse!

compostqueen

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2011, 09:37 »
Folks pick up boxes of supermarket eggs without bothering to look where they come from, mostly abroad  :mad:

I used to run my own B & B and was appalled that Somerfield only stocked French eggs!  So, I took things into my own hands and grew my own eggs from then on.  Somerfield at the time were bragging in their mag about how marvellous the British high street was.  I wrote to them but funnily enough they never replied  :mad: 

Rhiannon

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2011, 10:14 »
thank you Grannie Annie   :) Garden blend is basicly a few layers pellets and then corn and dried peas?
Since i started giving my surplus eggs to the chaps where my husband works i noticed that the boxes coming back from where they bought eggs had changed from Asda /tesco/Sainsburys dirt cheap concentration camp eggs to free range  :) it might also be due to a large hairy tattooed biker lectureing them about chicken welfare  :lol:

Next door to me is an "Animal lover" but b***er me if her egg boxes arnt battery and her bacon and pork Danish, i am working hard on her , so far cat lady aint shifting  >:(

pigeonpie

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2011, 10:41 »
Hi,
Whilst I agree that it is a terrible shame for yet another farmer to go out of business I feel I have to defend the feed prices.  Arable farmers are struggling too and the price rise in feed needs to reflect this.  Wheat prices are only just coming up to being on a par with what they were over 10 years ago and yet with the rise in inflation production costs have gone up hugely. 
The real problem, yet again, in all of this is the British public for not being prepared to shop fairly and wisely.  I would like to blame the supermarkets and also feel that the government should take a much stronger stance in protecting the heritage of farming within the UK but it really is down to shoppers.  Whilst we as the British public are always trying to find the cheapest deal, we are risking the livelihoods of even more farmers and the future of British farming.  I understand that we don't all have incomes to be frivolous with but our priorities have changed so much in what we spend our money on that food is one of the lowest proportions of expenditure.  People who claim that they can't afford to buy higher welfare foods and reasonable prices for vegetables, etc. often have the new must have gadgets, a new plasma TV, piles of games for the game consoles and enough left over for a few bottles of wine and perhaps even some cigarettes.
So, I'm sorry that it is costing more to feed the chickens but I'm glad that feed prices are going up as it reflects a very real need to pay for what crops are worth, not what the merchants are prepared to pay for them.

Rhiannon

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2011, 12:19 »
 Are you a farmer?  If you are you will be  aware of the waste in arable farming , the grants that are available etc...Some farmers just grow a crop thats worthless as the grant to grow it is worth more than  the cost of harvesting it.

I come from a farming family , tho the farms in Cheshire were lost in the 60`s due to excessive death duties (long story) . My husband still works in agriculture , so we do know who gets what for what.

What i dont agree with is the way Supermarkets treat suppliers , as end users we get very little choice these days , I am lucky we grow most of our own and friends have sheep and pigs and a good butcher supplies the beef .Unfortunatly i havent discovered how to grow Pepsi Max lol .

Arable farming has never been easier, the Agronomist tells um when to plant it how to plant it when to spray it , retard it  accelerate it and when to harvest it, basicaly its sold before it  is sown.

My biggest sympathy goes out to livestock farmers , now that is a b*tch , one Foot and Mouth outbreak and not just the cattle or other cloven hooved animals are lost but years and years of breeding , no compensation will ever IMO cover that loss.

So troll that i am i do not sympathise much with arable farmers , apologies if you are one , i am not trying to be unplesant just putting a point of view. Main problem today is petrol and diesel and within that the duty the Government takes on it .

helens-hens

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2011, 12:32 »
Hi,
Whilst I agree that it is a terrible shame for yet another farmer to go out of business I feel I have to defend the feed prices.  Arable farmers are struggling too and the price rise in feed needs to reflect this.  Wheat prices are only just coming up to being on a par with what they were over 10 years ago and yet with the rise in inflation production costs have gone up hugely. 
The real problem, yet again, in all of this is the British public for not being prepared to shop fairly and wisely.  I would like to blame the supermarkets and also feel that the government should take a much stronger stance in protecting the heritage of farming within the UK but it really is down to shoppers.  Whilst we as the British public are always trying to find the cheapest deal, we are risking the livelihoods of even more farmers and the future of British farming.  I understand that we don't all have incomes to be frivolous with but our priorities have changed so much in what we spend our money on that food is one of the lowest proportions of expenditure.  People who claim that they can't afford to buy higher welfare foods and reasonable prices for vegetables, etc. often have the new must have gadgets, a new plasma TV, piles of games for the game consoles and enough left over for a few bottles of wine and perhaps even some cigarettes.
So, I'm sorry that it is costing more to feed the chickens but I'm glad that feed prices are going up as it reflects a very real need to pay for what crops are worth, not what the merchants are prepared to pay for them.

Though I agree with what you are saying about it ultimately being down to shoppers, these days they are being given a lot more choice because of the open trade regualtions between us, the rest of the EC and other countries. We can see this almost everywhere, not just with groceries. Just think what is left with our manufacturing industry!

I am not an expert here and somebody tell me if I am wrong, but in a supposedly animal loving country why can't we restrict the importing of eggs, meat etc from countries where perhaps welfare standards are lower than our own? Surely if there were limitations on what animal based foodstuffs could be imported then prices of our own produce would settle down.

I live in Wales and as everybody knows it has more than its own fair share of sheep but I struggle to afford Welsh lamb and usually end up with New Zealand lamb (not that I am suggesting their welfar standards are low). It just seems crazy.

Sorry for the rant!
Helen

Rhiannon

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2011, 17:24 »
Daft indeed , produce travels miles to be washed and packed , then back to where it started for sale. At the end of the day the consumer needs freedom of choice , by restricting this by banning imported meat we are removeing this choice.

There will be people who will tell you they cant afford British meat and that cheap imports are all they can afford , i cant challenge this viewpoint ive never had to feed kids on benefit .

UK lamb is very expensive it makes no sence, my butcher wasnt buying it a while ago because of the price. we have a breeder of Wiltshire Horn  just down the road, these lambs are grass fed and left a while longer to mature , not hoggits but  not tiny lambs, the meat has taste and is reasonably priced, so once a year we get a treat .

pigeonpie

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2011, 17:46 »
Are you a farmer? 

My in-laws have a small farm that has been in the family for generations.  Even with the fact that they had no massive over heads they had to retire from milking several years ago due to it costing more to produce the milk than what they received for it, even without paying themselves wages for the many hours that they worked.  They currently have about 100 head of cattle which they manage as a suckler herd for beef production.  Again, there is no money in it but it keeps them busy and they couldn't dream of any other way of life.
My husband, having grown up on farms all his life, works for a medium sized arable farm.  Whilst I agree that there is terrible waste I feel it is generally unfair for the farmer to be blamed as they have a living to make and if they can earn sufficient money without having to go through the constant worry of the weather, the pests, the diseases and then not guaranteed a fair price at the end of a year of hard work then I think we can all understand why they may choose to do this. 
Just 6 years ago the farm on which my hubbie works suffered a loss of over £300,000 on potatoes alone after tying in to a contract with a well known potato product firm who then refused to take many of the loads of potatoes (claiming them to be unfit but when the same load was submitted at a different time they would be accepted, funny enough it was a year when the potato yields were very high and so there were plenty available).  He therefore ended up dumping hundreds of tonnes, not getting the money that had been promised for the production and then to cap it all off was fined over £100,000 for not meeting the contract.
The government should certainly do something, including ignoring the EU on many policies, but if buyers didn't want such cheap products there wouldn't be the demand to the supermarkets and large producers to give farmers such a raw deal.
I forget the exact calculations but bearing in mind the price of bread keeps rising and is blamed on the increased price of wheat... the average loaf contains just 7p of wheat.

Rhiannon

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2011, 07:57 »
From that aspect i have great sympathy for you, the demands of the big supermarkets are wrong, in the beginning they were a good thing now they have a monopoly , if they cant get a good price from UK farmers they just go abroard .

Small farms do struggle , especialy dairy. Right now tho farmers are falling over themselves in our area to spend money, they not only buy one machine but 2 so some proportion of the farming population must be doing very well , and im told its to do with the price of cereal .

A super dairy was proposed near Nocton not far up the road, there was a knee jerk reaction to it over welfare. The proposal was rejected because of the water table and the slurry , however when thats sorted to the satisfaction of the council im sure it wil go ahead again. Now that would be a death knell to any dairy farmer who could not compete with the size of the place and the cheaper production.

We blame the supermarkets but its consumer driven, can people realy not afford dearer food or do they spend thier income on other things these days and food takes a back seat? Many ready meals and takeaways are staple foods whilst produceing a good dinner from scratch is more healthy and  IMO easier and cheaper, but its a time issue  i guess?

Is this why so many of todays youngesters and those not so young are over weight from a very young age?

I wish the best of luck to all farmers , as i said my husbands family had a massive farm and there were also 2 tennants renting land as tennant farmers from them , but thru mismanagement when he was a kid  it was all lost save 7 acres which is just rented out to cattle .If the farmers do well then we do well as our livelihood as agricultural engineers depends on it :)

chloe

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2011, 18:06 »
I would love to get some of those hens! where abouts is it?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2011, 18:28 »
watch the video on the link shown before

xx
Anybody free range?

Started by Beekissed on The Hen House

38 Replies
Last post October 28, 2016, 19:22
by greenjay
xx
Free range and worming

Started by evie2 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 03, 2011, 21:26
by evie2
xx
Storm & Free Range

Started by Prod on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post January 06, 2014, 08:39
by Sassy
xx
When is it safe to free range?

Started by janeheritage on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 13, 2009, 15:48
by janeheritage

Page created in 0.255 seconds with 39 queries.