Need Some Advice About A Pear Tree

• 3 Replies

The Widge

Need Some Advice About A Pear Tree
« on: July 08, 2010, 19:20 »
Hi, Newbie here!

I could really do with some advice regarding my dwarf Comice that I planted last year.  The tree seems to be growing fine, but some of the leaves look like they've been singed or burnt away at the edges.  The leaves themselves haven't yellowed or anything and the branches are fine and don't appear to be affected.  I haven't had any blossom as yet so I can't comment on that.  It had this last year as well but then seemed to be okay.  What on earth could it be, and how do I treat it?  I've seen pictures of the dreaded Fire Blight and it doesn't look like that...

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated?

DavidT

Re: Need Some Advice About A Pear Tree
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 19:29 »
Good evening and welcome to the site. It sounds like scorch to me, nothing to worry about. It`s a result of the dry, sunny weather. I`m finding pears are cropping very poorly this year, as, so it seems, are plums and cherries. :D

The Widge

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 08:07 »
Sorry for the delay in thanking you David, internet probs at this end!  ::)

Sounds like mystery solved, but what can I do to minimise scorching in the future?  Or do I just have to grin and bear it?

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 15:13 »
If you're watering the tree, do it only from below so no water hits the leaves. Obviously the leaves are a bit more cup-shaped and will hold water easily so you really need to avoid wetting them. After it rains and the sun comes out, give the tree a shake so most of the water falls off the leaves. Eventually the leaves will enlarge and flatten out, and not be such a problem.

Pear trees are very susceptible to fireblight, but you don't have it as fireblight is very distinctive.

clip
Pear Tree Advice

Started by GardenShed on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 31, 2014, 23:38
by surbie100
xx
pear tree advice

Started by jackiestagg on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 16, 2007, 13:56
by ted_woodley
clip
Pruning advice - Pear tree

Started by Geordie on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 06, 2024, 21:34
by Geordie
xx
Ancient pear tree - advice please

Started by Foghorn-Leghorn on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post June 18, 2010, 18:10
by Foghorn-Leghorn

Page created in 0.35 seconds with 33 queries.