spring or salad onions

• 12 Replies

rowlandwells

spring or salad onions
« on: May 11, 2019, 18:03 »
what spring or salad onions are you growing this year red or white what's your preference we are growing several varieties including simian. tipika. carel.and north Holland red and grew guardsmam to overwinter but there not quite ready to pick

also have been trying to grow a variety called kosma  as a salad onion  but not having much luck maybe there old seed anyone been growing this variety if so how do you rate it

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: spring or salad onions
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 18:14 »
Very few of my Kosma germinated either  :(
I've got lots of Long Red Florence, but they won't be ready for a while yet   ::)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 19:11 »
I overwintered Winter White Lisbon, and pulled the last of them this week. I usually stick to one red and one white. I used the last of the packet of Lilia, which make nice little bulbed onions if you leave them, a lovely pink colour.

The next batch will use the ends of the packet of Purplette
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 11:36 »
I didn't know you could get red or purple ones. Are they stronger in taste than the white ones?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Nobbie

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 14:03 »
I just stick some spare onion sets in a container and use these in salads.

Wiltshire Worms

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2019, 14:48 »
We plant out shallots close together and use the clumps for salads, leaving the others to grow on

Mr Dog

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2019, 18:49 »
Guardsman and D'Arcy plus Long Red Florence to pull early are all on the go. Kyoto Market just sown.

rowlandwells

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2019, 19:12 »
Kyoto market that's a new one on me Mr Dog any more info would be helpful are they red or white and who sells the seed ?

Mr Dog

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2019, 20:35 »
Kyoto market that's a new one on me Mr Dog any more info would be helpful are they red or white and who sells the seed ?

White but apparently grown mainly for its green leaves. It's a bit like a Welsh onion, or shallot, in that it splits as it grows.
I got the seed a few years ago from Real Seeds - they still sell them. Info from their website:

"We chose this well-known traditional variety from Japan because it has been particularly bred to make a lot of green leaves. Chop them all up and add to omelettes, soups, stew and salads.

It also splits into bunches as it grows and you can divide the clump to multiply your onion patch."

AnneB

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 10:05 »

White but apparently grown mainly for its green leaves. It's a bit like a Welsh onion, or shallot, in that it splits as it grows.
I got the seed a few years ago from Real Seeds - they still sell them. Info from their website:

"We chose this well-known traditional variety from Japan because it has been particularly bred to make a lot of green leaves. Chop them all up and add to omelettes, soups, stew and salads.

It also splits into bunches as it grows and you can divide the clump to multiply your onion patch."

I grow Kyoto Market too and find it very reliable.  Mine have never bunched as they grow though - I know they are supposed to, but mine never seem to, but I try and grow onions in a different spot each year rather than having an onion patch.  I am also trying a new Real Seeds variety this year, a red one called Red Beard from China.  The picture on the website looks spectacular,  green leaves, a white shank and a red base at the stem. 

rowlandwells

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2019, 17:49 »
this sounds something to try going to have a look at the real seed company for more info many thanks all

Thrutchington

• Experienced Member
  • Now then!
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2019, 20:28 »
White lisbon and some welsh red this year, plus some leftover seeds from a purple coloured type i can't remember the name of, see what happens, succession sowing a row every two weeks.

Mr Dog

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2019, 20:45 »
I grow Kyoto Market too and find it very reliable.  Mine have never bunched as they grow though - I know they are supposed to, but mine never seem to, but I try and grow onions in a different spot each year rather than having an onion patch.  I am also trying a new Real Seeds variety this year, a red one called Red Beard from China.  The picture on the website looks spectacular,  green leaves, a white shank and a red base at the stem.

I'd never really thought about them splitting but in hindsight they probably do - I've always put down the extras I get to harvest as ones from seed that has germinated after planting out the modules.

xx
radish and salad onions

Started by 666 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 11, 2007, 13:08
by jennyb
xx
Salad onions - what do you grow?

Started by Snoop on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 12, 2014, 20:13
by gobs
xx
autumn planted onions lifted early for spring onions

Started by Lisbon67 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 22, 2013, 20:49
by Annen
xx
overwintering spring onions and bulb onions

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 28, 2019, 19:10
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 41 queries.