Weed matting versus tarpaulin

• 17 Replies

Moonshine132435

• Aquired my plot on 13th April, a little daunting!
Weed matting versus tarpaulin
« on: April 16, 2012, 15:22 »
After spending a while on my council's waiting list I've finally lucked into a plot at our local allotment; half of me is mad exited and planning away, the other half is a little daunted by the scale of what I'm taking on.

The plot is largely grass and dandilions, with a small patch of brambles. I chopped these down last weekend; my plan is to strim the whole plot down, clear the vegetation for composting, nuke the whole thing with some Roundup and then cover it up while I work out what's next.

Carpet is frowned on at my allotments (and it would take an aweful lot of it in any case) so I'm debating whether to go with some cheap blue tarpaulin which has the benfit of having holes at the edges so I can easily secure it with tent pegs, versus  the more common weed control matting I see a lot of other people use. The weed matting is permeable, but does that really make a difference when I'm just trying to discourage any weeds growing before I start digging?
Aquired a full plot on 13th April; exited and a little awed in equal measure.

smud6ie

Re: Weed matting versus tarpaulin
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 16:16 »
If you strim off the growth you will have to wait for it to grow again to use the weed killer.
Those cheap polytarps let too much light through to kill off weeds,or the ones I've seen do.
smud6ie

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 18:40 »
Tarpaulins have their uses but they don't let air and water through.  This makes the soil sour over time, so isn't recommended.  It is also slippery when wet.

Woven weed suppressant of decent quality doesn't let light through, but is healthier for the soil and not slippery.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 18:55 »
I would use the roundup and strim afterwards when it's dying back.  You need actively growing leaves for it to be effective.
Cheese makes everything better.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 19:02 »
Cheap blue tarp lets quite a lot of light through and so plants grow very happily beneath it  :ohmy:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

teamspotty

• Experienced Member
  • Everything spotty....
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 21:08 »
Weedkiller then tarp it. I presume you mean the very large ones from B&Q, double them up, it won't kill everything but it will help 90%.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 21:31 by teamspotty »
Everything spotty....

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 21:25 »
Weedkiller then tarp it. I presume you mean the very large ones from B&Q, double then up, it won't kill everything but it will help 90%.
I refer you to replies number 2 & 4 above. ^^ ;)

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 04:56 »
Much as I hate to use it but Roundup does have times it's a huge backsaver.

As Ice says, strim, rake, then spray your weedy area. Once it dries, if you're keen to cover it, then spread opened cardboard boxes on top and weight them down. spread so that no gaps show and this will really put the death sentence on weeds. The cardboard will eventually compost down so you'll have nothing to lift.

teamspotty

• Experienced Member
  • Everything spotty....
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 15:42 »
Weedkiller then tarp it. I presume you mean the very large ones from B&Q, double then up, it won't kill everything but it will help 90%.
I refer you to replies number 2 & 4 above. ^^ ;)

Doubling them up will reduce the amount of light through and will kill 90% of the weeds.....

The important term here is *doubling up* - i.e. two layers (not a single layer which won't kill ANY weeds)....

smud6ie

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 16:39 »

As Ice says, strim, rake, then spray your weedy area.
Do they have Specsavers in Canada or any chance of a bottle of what you were on last night? ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:
smud6ie
 Quote Ice  "I would use the roundup and strim afterwards when it's dying back.  You need actively growing leaves for it to be effective"

Moonshine132435

• Aquired my plot on 13th April, a little daunting!
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 17:42 »
Thanks for all the answers guys; I think I'm going to stim it back a bit, rake it then nuke it. I like the cardboard idea, seems to be killing two birds with one stone.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 18:01 »
There is no point in strimming before applying the weedkiller, as others have said.  You need the plant to be actively growing - and if you strim off the foliage first then it can't absorb the chemicals.

Nuke, wait a week or so for the chemicals to start to be absorbed, then strim, then cover.

ulsterfairy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 20:18 »
Agree with the nuke it then wait before strimming comments!! 

Even with doubling the cheap tarp it didnt deter bind weed, docks or brambles on our plot (Which we strimmed before covering minus roundup), it did all the "weaker" weeds!! 

The bit we nuked end of growing season last year and didnt cover is now very manageable bindweed an all, any new weed growth is getting hoe'd apart from bindweed which  wiil be havin a visit from weed killer again!!

Plus the tarp does get very slippy especially doubled over in my experience (Yes I have landed on me behind!!)  ::)

teamspotty

• Experienced Member
  • Everything spotty....
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 20:26 »
Agree with the nuke it then wait before strimming comments!! 

Even with doubling the cheap tarp it didnt deter bind weed, docks or brambles on our plot (Which we strimmed before covering minus roundup), it did all the "weaker" weeds!! 

The bit we nuked end of growing season last year and didnt cover is now very manageable bindweed an all, any new weed growth is getting hoe'd apart from bindweed which  wiil be havin a visit from weed killer again!!

Plus the tarp does get very slippy especially doubled over in my experience (Yes I have landed on me behind!!)  ::)

yep only 90% of weeds, bramble will be too hardy and will force its way out, can get slippy (I hope you didn't injure yourself), but it does help and is cheap... (I think the huge blue ones from B&Q are £16)...

ulsterfairy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 20:46 »
Teamspotty I have plenty of padding so no  :happy:

We do still have a bit covered in tarp until we get time to do that bit!!

xx
Best weed matting?

Started by Babycat on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post December 13, 2013, 20:40
by Babycat
xx
Capillary Matting

Started by Hitman on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post April 24, 2015, 20:57
by Hitman
xx
poly tunnel versus greenhouse?

Started by boosmummy on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post September 22, 2011, 11:27
by grinling
xx
Weed Burners

Started by davejg on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post August 28, 2010, 22:37
by flitwickone

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 28 queries.