How to plant out my leeks?

• 3 Replies

loubylou29

• Experienced Member
« on: August 09, 2007, 08:04 »
Ok potato space is now clear ready for the leeks to go in.
If I recall I carefully take each seedling make a hole in the ground a little wider then the seedling then water it and leave it... keep it well watered at all times?? (feel like that rain a few weeks ago would have been useful.)
and leave them in??
Should i do anything to the ground before I do it any feed, lime or manure ?(don't think so for roots)

Just checking...
Many thanks
Lucy
x

muntjac

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 09:16 »
you can plant em straight out as they are, a top dressing of lime 1/2 oz to square yard  will help along with a dressing on potash and superphosphate ,both available from garden supplies  1/2 oz per . the dibber hole is a trried and trusted method from generations of gardeners i personally dont use it i use the spade dug in deep and then levered back and forth  to form a slit, i find this leaves a soft loose spot in the soil in which the roots can spread  .if you come across a broken fork / spade shovel handle then have its end made to a blunt point  this will then be fine for your leek dibber .rake the top dressings in lightly, mark the line and then go down the line  with the dibber a foot  apart placing holes ,the depth of the hole is determined by the leeks length i grow mine to about pencil thickness before planting out in a seed bed in the garden. place the leek in the hole twisting it down as you go to make sure the roots all go down . turn the  leek so that the leaves fall left and right of the line now pour the water in ,i prefer to use water from cans that i have warmed up in the greenhouse or in the sun for a couple of days ,this has the effect of not shocking the roots and also i believe in reducing the chlorine from tap water ,if you have rain butts use that water , plant the rows 2 ft apart ,hoe when needed  water every other day in dry weather  feed one lot of potash same as before to the leeks in end week october , hope that helps
still alive /............

WG.

Re: How to plant out my leeks?
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 10:16 »
Quote from: "loubylou29"
manure ?(don't think so for roots)
Leeks are not a root as such; that really means something where you eat the root itself (carrot, parsnip, salsify).

So you can manure if you think the ground needs it but generally leeks will survive on what the tatties left

Motivator

• Experienced Member
    • http://Napit.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 19:02 »
One small thing that works for me is dipping the roots in the can before,
 Planting maks them neat. Easier to get in the didder hole or trench etc.
Digging ,Growing ,& the sport of kings.

xx
when to plant out leeks

Started by mollyblob on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 26, 2010, 00:39
by Paul Plots
xx
Is it too late to plant leeks

Started by colin120 on Grow Your Own

33 Replies
Last post July 09, 2014, 22:46
by Snoop
xx
Pathetic leeks - plant 'em anyway?

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post June 08, 2010, 00:30
by Cazzy
xx
Why plant leeks in holes?

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post July 09, 2015, 07:24
by dugless

Page created in 0.33 seconds with 32 queries.