when to plant out leeks

• 4 Replies

mollyblob

when to plant out leeks
« on: July 25, 2010, 20:39 »
My leeks have been looking very sorry for themselves the whole way along, especially so when I went out one day and slugs had eaten every one down to the soil.  Aargh!  In disgust, I left the tray where it was, writing it off as a bad job.  I happened to notice the discarded tray the other week and somehow they've all come back from the dead, and are now much sturdier than before, standing straight up, but still pretty skinny (biro refill thickness as I've seen someone here describe them!)

Should I put them into their final positions now, or wait till they've fattened up to pencils?  I'd hate to kill them after they thwarted the slugs :-)

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Re: when to plant out leeks
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 20:44 »
Put them in, mine were like blades of grass when I planted them  :D
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

theakston_uk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 21:15 »
I'd say plant them out too. Mine like peapod's were very thin when they went in the ground (people say wait until they are pencil thickness, I'd still be waiting now though) and have started to thicken up nicely, it's amazing how quickly and how much they grow once they are given the space to grow

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 21:17 »
Taek the view that they are never going to get to full size in the tray, so in the ground they go  :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Paul Plots

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 00:39 »
Taek the view that they are never going to get to full size in the tray, so in the ground they go  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yep plant them... then keep them well watered until they seem to be holding their own.

I take out a drill and flood it with water. Once this has drained into the soil I use a dibber to make planting holes. (The moisture helps keep the planting hole stable instead of dusty dry soil falling in).

Next drop a leek into each and use the watering can to help wash soil into the holes onto the leek roots.
The advantage of the shallow drill is that the leeks are easier to water until they become established.

Good luck.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

xx
How to plant out my leeks?

Started by loubylou29 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 09, 2007, 19:02
by Motivator
xx
Why plant leeks in holes?

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post July 09, 2015, 07:24
by dugless
xx
Pathetic leeks - plant 'em anyway?

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post June 08, 2010, 00:30
by Cazzy
xx
Is it too late to plant leeks

Started by colin120 on Grow Your Own

33 Replies
Last post July 09, 2014, 22:46
by Snoop

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 34 queries.