Pathetic leeks - plant 'em anyway?

• 28 Replies

JohnB47

Re: Pathetic leeks - plant 'em anyway?
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2010, 11:16 »
Stevens706 - 7" deep would see them totally buried! Still, if they're just lying in the hole maybe they'll grow above soil level before the hole becomes filled in.

I'm probably repeating what you already know, but the idea is to "dibber" a hole, drop them in, fill hole with water - which will wash in about an inch of soil to cover the root.  The rest of the hole is still "open" so the leek can grow, emerge fro the hole, and both grow and fatten up - and over time waterings will fill the hole some more.

So, just to check. Are you saying plant them deep now, even though they're thin and only about 3-4" tall. Or plant them out of their pots now (at same depth as in the pots) and transplant deeper in the dibbered holes when they get bigger later on (as per an earlier post on this thread)? Ta.

jazzbyrd

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2010, 11:24 »
I never plant my leeks out until the end of July by then they are pencil thick. I still get leeks by the end of December and throughout the spring which is when I want them.

Jazz
Do androids dream of electric sheep?

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2010, 12:36 »
John, its up to you, I planted mine on Saturday even the very small thin ones (just be careful with the watering so you don’t collapse the hole). I do the same every year and they always come through. some people wait for space to become available such as after the first early spuds etc so have to wait, both ways work.
Paul

Livinhope

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2010, 13:21 »
Can I ask a simple question please? 

I know how to plant the youngs leeks (same problem as everyone else this year) but our allotment soil is very powdery and dries very quickly on the surface.  It's perfectly possible to plant correctly and leave the hole 'open', but subsequent waterings will very quickly fill the hole with soil.  Does this affect the growing habit of the leeks and if so what can I do to prevent it?

8doubles

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2010, 13:28 »
Do not forget the roots are 6" down where the soil will be moister so they may not need more than an occasional dribble to keep them going.
As long as there is a bit of green  showing they will be ok.

Livinhope

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2010, 13:42 »
Thanks for that Bdoubles it's been bothering me for a while.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2010, 14:42 »
That's it! Done it!

My 30 biro refills have just been dropped into 21 6" holes (so some doubled-up) and watered in, and a bit of plastic netting thrown over them as an afterthought in case the blackbirds decide to investigate!

They can please themselves now!   :tongue2:  :tongue2:  :lol:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2010, 14:54 »
Mine didn't go in till the end of July (might eben have been the beginning of August ???) last year!! They were fine and grew away quite happily.

My current ones are sitting in their cat litter tray looking like little blade of fine grass  ;)... they are going to stay there until they buck their ideas up!!
Snappy 

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

I could give up chocolate but I'm not a quitter.

Cazzy

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2010, 15:10 »
This will be my third year at attempting leeks.  So far they've been a disaster and each spring when I pull them up they are not much bigger than when I put them in.

I'm sure i've just been too late at getting them in the ground.  They are sitting in a litter tray and will be going in when my first earlies come out but true to form, my first earlies are still tiny plants, second early and maincrop are big and bushy  ??? so looks like my leeks will be late again this year.
What if the Hokey Cokey IS what its all about...

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2010, 16:03 »
My best effort with leeks was the year I borrowed a patch of earth on my Mums lottie and threw some seeds in direct.

I had no idea what I was doing with them and thinned them out a little when they got a bit overcrowded cos I felt sorry for them!  :blink: No dropping them in holes... No earthing up! Nothing!!

Best leeks ever!!!

Just goes to show ignorance is bliss - sometimes ;) :D

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2010, 16:10 »
Mine are nearly ready to go in the ground. Does anyone know how to stop them from being gritty when they are harvested? I heard of someone wrapping the baby leeks in newspaper before planting, what do you think?
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2010, 17:23 »
So, just to check. Are you saying plant them deep now, even though they're thin and only about 3-4" tall. Or plant them out of their pots now (at same depth as in the pots) and transplant deeper in the dibbered holes when they get bigger later on (as per an earlier post on this thread)? Ta.

I think 3" to 4" tall is a bit short ...

If they are really crowded, or each is in a tiny pot/cell, I think I would pot on.  But if not really crowded I'll let them carry on a bit.

No rush to get them planted out as yet - although my lot like skinny-er, rather than fat-er, style leeks in the Winter.

goodegg

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2010, 17:38 »
im ashamed to say i have only 2 leeks all the rest have died so to day ive sown some more a bit late but i hope they will catch up never had problem before just dib 6in deep hole drop them in water and forget just weed now and then lovelly leeks not this year must have been conditions lot of rain then very dry ive been growing since the year of dot never seen it before.

Cazzy

« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2010, 00:30 »
Snap Dragon, I can't believe the size of that leek........ I am beginning to think that some plants really do need to be treated mean.  Mine are spoiled brats  :lol:

PS Your little girl is beautiful

xx
Pathetic Leeks

Started by Gravedigger on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 21, 2011, 13:52
by Gravedigger
xx
when to plant out leeks

Started by mollyblob on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 26, 2010, 00:39
by Paul Plots
xx
How to plant out my leeks?

Started by loubylou29 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 09, 2007, 19:02
by Motivator
xx
Why plant leeks in holes?

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post July 09, 2015, 07:24
by dugless

Page created in 0.357 seconds with 40 queries.