Pathetic leeks - plant 'em anyway?

• 28 Replies

JohnB47

Pathetic leeks - plant 'em anyway?
« on: June 03, 2010, 11:08 »
Hi.

I have a few leek plants in paper pots. They seem to have been in there for months and even now are very small. The cause is probably a very cold start to life and now a need for some food.

So, the question is, what is all this stuff about planting them deep really about? Would it matter if I took my little leeklets and planted them out on the allotment as they are - perhaps planting them so that the tips just show? Or should I plant them out and then later dig them up when pencil sized and replant them deep? Does it really matter?

All the leeks I see nearing full size and being lifted seem to have their roots fairly near the surface anyway, so what is the point of planting them deep? (I think the intention is to produce leeks with a nice long white stem - but if they end up with their roots near the surface anyway, surely planting them deep can't be having the desired effect).

Cheers.

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
Re: Pathetic leeks - plant 'em anyway?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 12:49 »
John you have answered your own question, planting them deep is to produce leeks with a nice long white stem. I have never seen the roots near the surface, when you dig up the leeks the roots are deep in the ground. Just dibber a 7" hole ond pop them in as they are (now is the time to do it) then water the hole and leave them to grow.
Paul

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 13:28 »
As stated above dibber a deep hole drop the leek in and water one side of the hole just to wash enough soil in to cover the roots but not fill the hole completely.
If you water into the centre of the hole you may float the leek back out.

JohnB47

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 14:30 »
Thanks both. Yes, I guess I'll have to get them in the ground, regardless of size. They're not doing much in those pots anyway.

Stevens706 - 7" deep would see them totally buried! Still, if they're just lying in the hole maybe they'll grow above soil level before the hole becomes filled in. Perhaps I'll make that a 5 or 6" hole.  :happy:

Cheers.

mixdiver

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 14:54 »
I sowed mine in a try around 6 weeks ago and they are still thin and weedy hope to plant them out in next couple of weeks, they will not be pencil thick though more like rice noodle thick!

Mixdiver
Digging away to keep the weight down!

JohnB47

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 16:35 »
I sowed mine in a try around 6 weeks ago and they are still thin and weedy hope to plant them out in next couple of weeks, they will not be pencil thick though more like rice noodle thick!

Mixdiver

It's some consolation to know that it's not just me!

Cheers.

chick with chicks

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 21:32 »
Me too, terrible looking things  :(
My very first year with my beautiful raised beds and they are the only seedlings to let me down :ohmy:
Will put them out anyway now. Was looking at them this afternoon and was going to chuck them  :unsure: Must be fate that I held back and then read this!! :D

noshed

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 22:00 »
Mine always look rubbish and then when you plant them on they are fine.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

8doubles

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 22:03 »
Be positive and convince yourself that  you aim to grow the baby leeks that are so expensive in the shops. :) :)

gowing238

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 22:22 »
I have heard so much about pencil thick leeks ready for planting out but have never seen what people mean! Anyone gotta picture to show what we are waiting for!?
Start at the beginning, and finish at the end!!

solway cropper

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2010, 22:33 »
Pencil thick means ready for eating  :)

I planted out 40 yesterday and most were drinking straw thickness. Come December they'll be as thick as my arm....hopefully.

zazen999

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 22:42 »
They're winter veg - they're not supposed to grow fast.

Pop them in the corner of a bed somewhere, water in and leave them be until the summer crops are harvested. Then put them into their final positions.

You'll be amazed the difference when you come to move them.

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2010, 23:28 »
i've never seen anyone get them pencil thick b4 they dibb them in, but for sure they will grow well and good too eat :D :D

JohnB47

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2010, 00:08 »
Thanks. Great to have this feedback.

I'm happy that some others are in a similar position to myself (not that I want everyone to be as badly off as me). After I plant mine out  I may decide to replant deeper, as per your advice zazen999. Seems like this year is a bit odd all round.  I'm only a beginner - is it this variable every year?? Perhaps something get to get used to.

Good luck all.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2010, 10:55 »
Stevens706 - 7" deep would see them totally buried! Still, if they're just lying in the hole maybe they'll grow above soil level before the hole becomes filled in.

I'm probably repeating what you already know, but the idea is to "dibber" a hole, drop them in, fill hole with water - which will wash in about an inch of soil to cover the root.  The rest of the hole is still "open" so the leek can grow, emerge fro the hole, and both grow and fatten up - and over time waterings will fill the hole some more.

Edit: Pictures from teh Begining and End of May. I'm not advocating this, they are pretty crowded, but that's about how I normally do it and we get half-decent leeks.
IMG_6399_Leeks.jpg
IMG_6445_Leeks.jpg
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 17:25 by Kristen »

xx
Pathetic Leeks

Started by Gravedigger on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 21, 2011, 13:52
by Gravedigger
xx
How to plant out my leeks?

Started by loubylou29 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 09, 2007, 19:02
by Motivator
xx
when to plant out leeks

Started by mollyblob on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 26, 2010, 00:39
by Paul Plots
xx
Is it too late to plant leeks

Started by colin120 on Grow Your Own

33 Replies
Last post July 09, 2014, 22:46
by Snoop

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 37 queries.