Reused and repurposed 'second life' inspiration

• 51 Replies

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
Re: Reused and repurposed 'second life' inspiration
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2015, 08:26 »
That is gorgeous. I love the patchwork as well. Your lillun certainly looks peaceful in there  :)

Beekissed

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2015, 17:05 »
Thank you!   :)  A lot of time and love went into it. 

She loves it!  It's the first time I have seen her want to play in her bed when she wakes up...I think she knows it was made special for her.  That quilt was hand stitched by her Granny for her as well...I'm not very good at sewing and my hands are arthritic, so that's probably the first and last one she'll ever get from me.  I'm not the spoiling kind of grandma, so this is how I get to do that side of the grandma bit.   :D

I'll be making her a little cubby out of pallets for my next project...a place for her to store her shoes, hats, gloves and jacket, that is free standing, with a little seat, and can be placed in her closet at home and I'll make another for her to have here.

Love that kid.  :) 

snowdrops

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2015, 17:09 »
It sounds to me Beeskissed you are just the perfect granny. Spoiling ruins them, loving nurtures them 😉
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2015, 18:03 »
There is spoiling or there is making memories and instilling experiences.  ;)

I have a patchwork blanket that my Nanny always put on the bed went I went to stay and a lava lamp that went on only when I visited. It was also my Nanny that got me baking and gardening. I wouldn't change any of it  :)

Beekissed

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2015, 23:12 »
I agree!  My grandma didn't spoil us either but she taught us how to kill a chicken, played board games with us and let us raid her garden and cellar for good things, let us play in her hay barn, feed chickens and gather eggs and such.  I don't ever remember her hugging me or making over me, but I remember all the rest and it was enough to make us want to go to her house and not want to leave. 

She sure never wants to leave grandma's house either, so maybe I'm getting it right...she's my first one and all.   :)

Beekissed

« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2015, 22:11 »
Fashioned a diversion tunnel on my back pop door to keep out my LGD pup, who's been stealing my eggs.  Used the top of a large old cat carrier to create a tunnel with a 45* angle into the coop.  If this doesn't work, I'll likely extend the tunnel or place another bend in it. 

Aled

« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2016, 10:35 »
Lovely thread here all, I have really enjoyed seeing what you have re-cycled and used for other purposes.
Cheers
Aled
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 12:13 by Aled »

Beekissed

« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2016, 04:39 »
Currently doing another upcyle....found a very sturdy nightstand at a yard sale for $4 and am currently turning it into a top bar hive.  Will post pics of the before and after when done.  At first I was just going to use the nightstand as a hive body and add supers but then decided to turn it into a long body hive, so built onto it and extended the back of it instead. 

Will use a metal patio coffee table for my hive stand.   

I'm really loving this project! 

Last month I wanted to expand a breeding/brooding pen for the chickens and used some lumber rescued from the trash in town and some lumber from a set of bunkbeds my brother had deconstructed and gifted me, plus very old scraps of lumber we had here already, to complete the build.  Also added an old screen door(free) from my son and another old screen door I got for $5 as the doors to the pen, mounting one on a slider.  Both of those doors will be utilized for drying veggies this summer and will top cold frames this next fall/winter, but will return to the pen by breeding time next spring.

The scrapped together pen revamp...

The soon-to-be beehive in its former mode as a nightstand....

Trikidiki

« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2016, 09:02 »
Ah, that's what a nightstand is. I thought it was that sort of girl you would only take out on one date.  ;)

Aled

« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2016, 09:05 »
Behave yourself Trikidiki! LOL
Nice looking building there Beekissed.
Aled

Beekissed

« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2016, 05:10 »
Thought I better give an update on the nightstand to beehive transformation...

These old ladders found in the trash found new life as trellises in the garden this year...

An old wooden bedstead will soon be made into a raised bed/cold frame, but first I cut the legs off the bottom and used them to make a little table for my granddaughter's playhouse.

I'm currently building her a playhouse out of pallet wood and hope to be done with most of it by the end of this week.  Will post pics of that when I'm done.  Takes awhile to break down old pallets and that wood is tough as hickory!  Hard to cut, hard to get a nail or screw into, so every step of the way is a struggle. 

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2016, 18:04 »
Nice work BK  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Aled

« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2016, 09:50 »
Oh yes looks brilliant BK
Cheers
Aled

Beekissed

« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2016, 08:49 »
This whole playhouse was built from recycled/free wood~pallets, shipping crates, construction throwaways, salvaged tin, and even the slide was recovered off the curb where it was left out in the trash. The little table was made from an old bedstead, the hardware recycled from old doors.  The other items inside came from Goodwill...the kitchenette was $10 , pots and pans, curtains, apron, chair, baskets, etc. were all $1-$2 items from GW.

I just completed this project today.

Her reaction to it was priceless! 

snowdrops

« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2016, 09:15 »
Fantastic BK, she's going to get so much fun with that, love that you can see straight though so you can keep an eye on her. Is it you that actually makes it or is it a family affair? Don't know where you find the time with all your growing & preserving

xx
New life for an old matress

Started by missycat on Frugal Living

7 Replies
Last post May 28, 2010, 22:14
by missycat
xx
Mini greenhouses - life expectancy

Started by Ema on Frugal Living

9 Replies
Last post April 25, 2013, 14:41
by Ema
xx
Free Lincolnshire Life Magazines and others?

Started by GrannieAnnie on Frugal Living

0 Replies
Last post April 04, 2015, 23:37
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 38 queries.