Cat deterrent

• 23 Replies

arh

Re: Cat deterrent
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2017, 07:43 »
That's the point. Cats always "go" in some one else's patch, So one either obtains a cat of their own, or goes to great lengths to stop other peoples cats from using their plot as a toilet. But why should we have to?. There's enough, (probably not!), notices etc. about dogs but none about cats.

I Love Spuds

• Experienced Member
  • AKA Mike.
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2017, 10:44 »
Cats, by law, are free to roam, thus pooping were they roam. Dogs are not.

You can put a dog on a lead but you wouldn't a cat. Dogs are far more domesticated then cats are (mostly!)

How bad are these cat litter problems? As you can tell, I don't have any problems but I grow at home and not on a lotty.
"Every time I learn something new, it pushes old stuff out of my brain" Homer J Simpson

al78

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2017, 11:31 »
That's the point. Cats always "go" in some one else's patch, So one either obtains a cat of their own, or goes to great lengths to stop other peoples cats from using their plot as a toilet. But why should we have to?. There's enough, (probably not!), notices etc. about dogs but none about cats.

Cats are treated like wild animals, dogs are trained and domesticated (you can't train a cat) and they have a higher potential to cause harm to humans, they are two completely different animals. As for why you should have too, the same reason you should net your brassicas from pigeons, or put copper rings around seedlings to discourage slugs.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2017, 16:23 »
Another deterrent, I have found works well (like the brambles), is to go out and pick some wild Gorse,  it is  now in  flower, so cut  lengths and transfer them home in a sturdy sack, and lay them around the beds.  They look pretty and the cats, definitely will not go where it is prickly, and boy are they prickly..  Take strong gloves !! Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2017, 16:34 »
My lion poo has been ordered and dispatched!!!!!

8doubles

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2017, 17:44 »
Another deterrent, I have found works well (like the brambles), is to go out and pick some wild Gorse,  it is  now in  flower, so cut  lengths and transfer them home in a sturdy sack, and lay them around the beds.  They look pretty and the cats, definitely will not go where it is prickly, and boy are they prickly..  Take strong gloves !! Mrs Bouquet

A great idea if you do your gardening in a suit of armour !  :nowink:

victoria park

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2017, 19:38 »
In my experience, cats do as much good as they do harm. The rodents do far more harm to planting aspirations which is partly why cats have been favoured all over the world. So the furry bundles are seen as a complementary and fully fledged part of my ecosystem. We have 150 plots and only 3 known cats. Not enough. I need to grow some cat nip  :)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 20:18 by victoria park »

8doubles

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2017, 08:35 »
In my experience, cats do as much good as they do harm. The rodents do far more harm to planting aspirations which is partly why cats have been favoured all over the world. So the furry bundles are seen as a complementary and fully fledged part of my ecosystem. We have 150 plots and only 3 known cats. Not enough. I need to grow some cat nip  :)

Spoken as if cats only kill rodents and not every endangered songbird they can !
The only possible eco friendly cats are native wild ones not the tame ones that are bred and fed by humans and only hunt for sport !

I like to do my own pest control (pests only not any thing small)  thank you ! ;)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2017, 09:39 »
I'll lock the thread now that all the useful advice has been offered, before emotive disagreement takes over, as always  ::)

xx
Mice Deterrent?

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 06, 2019, 19:02
by Kleftiwallah
xx
slug Deterrent

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 11, 2019, 20:12
by Aidy
xx
SLUG DETERRENT

Started by davidevans on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 12, 2006, 07:54
by yewtreemob
xx
Slug deterrent (possibly)

Started by shedmeister on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 05, 2015, 13:34
by shedmeister

Page created in 0.295 seconds with 41 queries.